No Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Just for something to do I was going to make a pen from a clear acrylic rod. Does anyone know what reduction in drill size is needed to have the kit parts fit without tubes?

I just thought it would be something interesting to have, a completely clear pen that you could see through.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
You just need to measure the inside of the tube that is supposed to go with the kit, then take it up a couple thousands of an inch and start hunting for the bit.

bruce119

Hmmmmm kind of interesting.

Sounds like a job for a good set of calipers.

I too thought of a clear tube but for something else. I would need to polish the inside of the tube sounds like you will have to also. That could be tricky.

I would like to hear some tips for polishing the inside of a "drilled" clear cast poly resin tube ????

Bruce

Last edited:

mick

Drill it with PAM... it works well when cutting threads in resins. Why not in helping smooth the inside?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I would like to hear some tips for polishing the inside of a "drilled" clear cast poly resin tube ????
Bruce
There's an accessory for a dremel or rotary flex shaft handpiece that is just a split rod, or you can even make one. I take sandpaper and micromesh strips about 1/2" x 1", put them in the slot and work through the grits just as you would the outside, preferably wet. You can also buff with tripoli and white diamond on a q-tip in a dremel or a dowel wrapped in cotton. Just takes a little practice and patience.

cnirenberg

Just for something to do I was going to make a pen from a clear acrylic rod. Does anyone know what reduction in drill size is needed to have the kit parts fit without tubes?

I just thought it would be something interesting to have, a completely clear pen that you could see through.

I tried it with some acrylic rod that I got from a "plastics place" here in town. Chucked it up and melted that sucker like summer does to a popsicle. Stunk the place up to high heaven too. Next time I'm going to use Lucite or a clear blank from Dawn and Ed. You just need to make sure and do a test on the acrylic and see how it reacts to heat from turning drilling ect. I use Pam to drill and sand now, and haven't had to do any out of the ordinary steps to get a clear finish on the inside of the blank.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
There's an accessory for a dremel or rotary flex shaft handpiece that is just a split rod, or you can even make one.

I don't have that accessory, but you're right about making one. I just
put a cotter pin in the collet and slip the sandpaper in the slot, wrap it
around the pin and use it as a flap wheel. Works well enough.

seawolf

A single section of a rifle cleaning rod with the right size cotton/felt fixed swab with acrilic polish of your choice to finish. 7mm is 30 cal. ect.
Mark

ngeb528

Without tubes, you'd see any fittings (transmission, cap, nib. Picturing it in my head kind of makes me think it wouldn't look very good, but give it a try and post the pic so I can see it actually put together.

Rmartin

I use a hand held drill with the same grits I use on the outside, and plastic polish to finish it off. Like this:

Attachments

• drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 140
Top Bottom