No Pen Press...What To Do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spec Grade

I'm a total newbie when it comes to turning pens.
I do not own a pen press, nor can I afford one at this point in time. So, how do I assemble a pen's guts without ruining it?
Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dustmaker

You can use a wood vise (or a metal vise with wood jaws), or use a clamp. Some use the drill press with a piece of wood or plastic in the chuck to protect the parts. Anything that gives you mechanical advantage and can precisely move the parts together can work, these are just ideas that I know folks have used.

Verne

Charles, do you have a vise? I've been doing it with a vise for over 6 years, I use a couple pieces of plexiglass with dimples started to keep the pen from sliding and to protect the finishes. I've heard of people using a drill press and even a small rubber mallet (ya havta make sure everything islined up).
It just depends on what you have available.
You might even be able to find a diy jig here on the site.
Good luck, have fun,
Vern

jleiwig

I just use a quick grip clamp I got at big lots for 2 bucks. I have the stuff to make an all aluminum pen press, just no time, and the clamp is workin fine for over a year now.

doeringr

I use C clamps and I glue a piece of felt to the parts that would contact the pen parts. Usually works like a charm.

rej19

I have 2 different pen presses and don't like either of them. I just don't seem to have the control I want with them. I also use a small bench vise that I believe I got at Rockler's that is actually made of some type of plastic. I drilled different size divets in the jaws to hold the pen parts in place and it works great. I feel I have complete control over the speed and accuracy. If something is not lining up or don't feel right I can adjust before screwing something up. That's my 2 cents worth.

erebus

Exactly the article I went by! I hope I didn't imply it was my design:redface:

When I made it I thought it would get me by till I could buy one ... little did I know that there would be no need to!!:biggrin:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything. I actually tried to look through the library to find the link you mentioned but when that didn't work I went to google and viola....

Sawdust Maker

I made my own

pen press 1_4422.jpg

Didn't see that article posted by erebus, otherwise mine might have been different

bracky1

I use the lathe. I turned a couple of hardwood knobs with a stub taper, one in the headstock and one in the tailstock. Use the tailstock handwheel to press the parts together.
This method allows good control and you can see if everything's square :wink:

RAdams

Banned
When i first started i used a drill press. Then i found the wooden pen press already posted. I made one of those and used it for a little while. I finally broke down and bought the woodcraft pen press. IMO it was one of the best things i ever did for my pens.

Any simple leverage machine will work, but some work better than others. The pen press i bought (after mods) is a LIFESAVER! I havent ruined a pen while pressing since i started using it!

gothycdesigns

I've been using a bench vise. Works well, got it cheap at Harbor Freight, that was before I found the plans like Lenny built his with. I'll be making one soon.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom