No more review discount

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I ordered some PSI stuff today and see they have a new review system. They used to give you a $5 discount for reviewing items you have bought which was nice to absorb some of the shipping cost. Just thought I would mention it. Not that it will keep me from ordering stuff :).

Running low on kits and resin blanks again. Hard to keep it stocked even though it seems like I am doing a lot less turning right now. Weird.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
They changed a little while back. I initially thought it was a pop-up blocker issue on my computer, until I tried on another computer. Then I stopped altogether when they wouldn't post a negative review. I think they all tend to do that, though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That is interesting!!

You believe it is common practice NOT to post negatives?

If so, what value is the review section? Why not call it the "praises only" section?

Andrew_K99

I'd also assume it is common practice to NOT allow negative reviews (or remove them after a short period). I've found this to be true on a number of sites.

Why would anyone buy a product if it had a lot of bad reviews? The seller could get stuck with the inventory that won't sell. This means the retailed has a vested interest in the products they sell getting good reviews only.

AK

Mapster

You still get the $5 off coupon. I did the same thing. The problem is you get the coupon after the company accepts your review. So I went to get the coupon to place an order, but it ended up coming the next day. Just plan ahead when you want the coupon!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Why would a retailer try to resell products that don't work? This will give them a bad reputation!

Usually, if a product gets a "bad" review, after several good reviews, I would surmise that the user needs some help. But, if you have a product that gets all bad reviews, return it to the supplier--don't foist it on your customers!!!

raar25

I placed a review last month and no coupon has ever shown up. I guess they only accept the good reviews. I am not a big fan of PSI but unfortunately on a cost and availability stand point I am stuck with them for now.

Andrew_K99

I completely agree with the logic. A company shouldn't sell items that aren't good but they also don't want to be stuck with the inventory.

Lets say PSI brings a new pen to market, They've invest $10,000 to stock the item. In the first few weeks after release there are 3 reviews, all of which are quite bad. In the hype they've sold $2,000 worth of stock but still have $8,000 of product in stock. Sales probably slow to a crawl due to the reviews.

Ideally they pull the product and eat the loss but if the accountants have anything to say about it they pull the reviews, sell off the stock (maybe at a small discount) and won't order it again.

On a similar example, I recently bought something off eBay and it arrived not as described (it was missing key parts). I contacted the seller and they claimed it was in the mail, a month later it never arrived. I opened a PayPal claim (which they never responeded to) and got a full credit. I left negative review on the purchase on eBay stating what happened. I received a message from the seller shortly there after offering to buy a postive feedback rating from me! I will not be doing this but it goes to show that a retailer will go out of their way to hide negative reviews.

AK

Last edited:

airborne_r6

I never trust reviews from a products own website. I have found the ones Amazon to be reliable however.

Rob73

I've written two negative reviews at PSI over the past couple years. I received an email regarding the issue on both of them. The reviews were never posted. I would assume that if they email anyone on their issue(s) then they believe it's not necessary for them to post the review.

ToddMR

You still get the $5 off coupon. I did the same thing. The problem is you get the coupon after the company accepts your review. So I went to get the coupon to place an order, but it ended up coming the next day. Just plan ahead when you want the coupon!

steering to topic.....

Ah ok. Thank you Marshall. I will plan to do that then. I didn't really NEED anything, just picked up a couple small things.

The coupon to me is more of an incentive to post a review instead of my norm of not taking the time to post one regardless of my feelings on the item. Glad to see it is still being done.

Last edited:

Joe S.

Instead of blocking negative reviews, they should only block misleading reviews. Like keep a review saying "parts came scratched and dented, and the transmission was broken. I don't like this kit because it's cheap and unreliable." but block one saying "I assembled it backwards. I hate this kit now." not that they would want to show negative review, but it's what they should do.
Just $0.02

Mapster said:

That would explain it. The last 2 I did were both negative. No coupons. Never posted.

ed4copies said:
That is interesting!!

You believe it is common practice NOT to post negatives?

If so, what value is the review section? Why not call it the "praises only" section?

Poor choice of words, as I didn't mead to say that you all do it. Not at all. I've heard it complained about elsewhere, and have actually seen negatives disappear myself, from other places. Enough to give me pause when considering seller review sections that are too good.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Instead of blocking negative reviews, they should only block misleading reviews. Like keep a review saying "parts came scratched and dented, and the transmission was broken. I don't like this kit because it's cheap and unreliable." but block one saying "I assembled it backwards. I hate this kit now." not that they would want to show negative review, but it's what they should do.
Just $0.02

I would think the "I did it backwards" is a warning to anyone about to buy it. Don't "be a guy", READ the DIRECTIONS!!!!

We have not had "reviews" long and I have not received any bad ones, but I see no reason to delete them, it will save me from others doing the same thing and blaming the materials.

I might add MY opinion of a "bad review", but I would leave both for people to judge before they buy.

Just me, not the ONLY RIGHT way, just my way!!

EricJS

I never trust reviews from a products own website. I have found the ones Amazon to be reliable however.

This is a very good point. There are a few websites I trust, but only when I see no evidence of "tampering" with the outcomes. Amazon has one of the most extensive databases of products with reviews. And the reviewers debate each other when someone gets too dramatic, so it's relatively easy to detect an unfair review.

When a site is too heavy on 5-star ratings, it causes me to look elsewhere for feedback on their products before making a purchase from them - IF I make a purchase from them.:wink:

On the other hand, we have many trustworthy vendors here at IAP. I really appreciate the feedback, communication, and other methods of satisfaction that most of them engage in.

EricJS

Just $0.02

I would think the "I did it backwards" is a warning to anyone about to buy it. Don't "be a guy", READ the DIRECTIONS!!!!

We have not had "reviews" long and I have not received any bad ones, but I see no reason to delete them, it will save me from others doing the same thing and blaming the materials.

I might add MY opinion of a "bad review", but I would leave both for people to judge before they buy.

Just me, not the ONLY RIGHT way, just my way!!

Ed, I would expect a business to make comments on the bad reviews. This tells me they are reading the reviews & taking them seriously. Not to mention, the vendor can look for patterns of quality failures within a group of components, etc.

My reluctance to trust a business that has "all 5-star ratings" would not be an issue if I saw continual interaction between the owner and the reviewers on a less-than-perfect review. You normally have that interaction with customers, hence no negative reviews (so far.) So right now I'm going through my stash of products I've bought from you, looking for something with a flaw so I can give it a bad review - I'm just not having much luck....:tongue:

Top Bottom