No Brass?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonJester

Somewhere I saw someone say that they don't use the brass tubes for their pens. I'm afraid that the pen would be too weak without it, but I'm willing to experiment.

I can't find the instructions now though. Can someone point me to that post?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't remember seeing that but that is not saying it wasn't posted. I have seen references to pens in which a certain section was used without brass tube to allow for a different design.

I am not sure if either of the next two do that or not, but they are modified to the point of not gluing the tube at certain points, or not using a tube at certain points.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21470

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27195

I had these in my file for single blank slimlines. The top link uses one tube as a "floater" - as noted in the last post in that thread. The 2nd post did the same thing but instead of using a floater. I don't see how a twist pen could be used without a tube to hold the nib and grip the transmission. It might be possible to do this on re-doing a Walmart click pen or the likes.

SimonJester

Thanks a lot for the feedback, Hank.

Neither of these is the message I was referring to, but they both give me some ideas.

It could have been on a forum other than Penturners. At this point I don't recall where I saw it.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've made a boat load of pens without tubes. Typically I just drill the hole to the ID of the tube and CA the inside of the blank. Rather than press fit, I glue the components in place. I find that the pen is plenty strong enough for normal use. I've never had someone tell me one broke.

This pen was made without tubes.

200711345135_New%20Jigsaw%20Sedona%20View2-L.jpg
<br />

bitshird

I think you may be referring to cncjohnny's aluminum pens, he has made some available that don’t require brass tubes, I didn't use them on the aluminum pen I made either, in a metal pen they really are quite unnecessary,
I'm not sure if skiprat uses tubes in his metal pens either[?]
Ken Ferrell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom