Nice Slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BassBlaster

Who makes the nicest slimlines?

I'm not a fan of slimlines in the slightest little bit. I dont like the looks or even turning them. They are just boring to me. Because I dont like them and rarely turn them, I'm not really sure who makes a nice one. The ones I have turned in the past were the cheap ones from Berea.

In a recent wood trade, I receieved a couple hundred or so pen blanks of various species. In the box were 3 sticks of very nice amboyna burl. Problem is they are only cut at 1/2" square. Much to small for anything I turn. I'm thinking a couple nice slimlines but is there such a thing?

In your opinion, whats the nicest slimline kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

I think that Berea makes a nice component set, that seems to be of decent quality.

Like the other poster said, there's the Trimline/Streamline/etc... and the Comfort style that is 7mm but a little wider turned.

You could also use them for segmenting.

azamiryou

Those 1/2" blanks should be fine for Euro (= PSI's Designer) pens, as long as you get the hole nice and centered. I like the look of these pens in burls. CSUSA offers high-quality "Artisan" line Euro pens.

BassBlaster

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll look around and see what I come up with.

That nearly kitless pen is the coolest slimline Ive ever seen so I may try to do something similar. Love the finial!!

plantman

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Think of the slimline (or any other 7MM) as just the medium you are starting your pen with. Replace the center band with a larger size, or forget it all together. Same with the clip or end cap. Make it a closed end pen with a wooden clip. Your only limited by what the mind can think of and what the hands can do. Smitty has some realy nice ones. Jim S

Last edited:

biednick

Or rip it in half on the band saw, glue some other wood on each side, add scallops to the ends and turn that with any kit you have.

Top Bottom