Next step advice please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wags54

I have only been turning pens, anything as far as that goes, since January 2006. So I have very limited experience. I have been turning only slim line pens until now, about 50-60 pens. I don't want to get in over my head and was wondering what everyone thought would be a good pen to step up to. Something not to complicated but with a new challenge to it. I have been considering Americlassic Click Pen or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudwrkr

Wiley,
I second Chris' advice on the Cigar and Baron. I would also add the Sierra to the list. I took a look at your slimline photos and you should not any problems with these.

Enjoy!

terrymiller

Scott doesnt the Europeans require the tenon in them. I think I tried 10 of them and never got the tenon correct. They make a beautiful pen and pretty straight forward my only problem with was the tenon. If you cut the tenon a little to much then the center band wont fit.

gerryr

Don't try either the Elegant American or the Berea Rount Top European uses the larger bit. The lengths are very touchy on both of those. The Sierra is probably the easiest kit there is followed by the cigar. The Baron/Jr. Gent/Statesman are also not difficult.

Originally posted by terrymiller
<br />Scott doesnt the Europeans require the tenon in them. I think I tried 10 of them and never got the tenon correct. They make a beautiful pen and pretty straight forward my only problem with was the tenon. If you cut the tenon a little to much then the center band wont fit.

Yes, you use the parting tool to cut the tennon. I just take my time and do a lot of test fitting with the bearing. I am lucky that my parting tool is just the right size for cutting the tennon. Ocassionally I will cut the tennon a bit long, then I simply use the pen mill to bring it down.

rfreeouf

<br />Scott doesnt the Europeans require the tenon in them. I think I tried 10 of them and never got the tenon correct. They make a beautiful pen and pretty straight forward my only problem with was the tenon. If you cut the tenon a little to much then the center band wont fit.

Woodcraft sells a set of bushings with a ring that you can slide as you are cutting the tenon. The bushing set makes turning the European pen easy. The European kit is one of my favorite kits to turn.

I also think Cigar or Baron Kits would be good for your next step.

Originally posted by rfreeouf
<br />

Woodcraft sells a set of bushings with a ring that you can slide as you are cutting the tenon. The bushing set makes turning the European pen easy. The European kit is one of my favorite kits to turn.

I also think Cigar or Baron Kits would be good for your next step.

You hit the nail on the head. Woodcrafters is where I got my bushings and my pen kits. I didn't know there were other bushing kits for the euros that don't have the ring. I wouldn't turn a euro without it.

Dario

Another great use for CA. Just build it back up with a few layers! [;)]

I used to make a lot of the Euros...I actually have one cheap caliper pre-set to the tenon size. Makes checking really easy [:)]

woodbutcher

If money is important the European will save a couple dollars on tools. I make a lot of Europeans and Americanas. A word of advice, buy your kits and bushings from the same place. The do differ a few thousands in diameter at the center band from supplier to supplier.
Jim

kf4knf

Being new to this hobby, I think the designer pen is the best transition. It was my second step anyway. Yea it requires a tenon but these are cake if you take your time and test fit as you go. Yea, they make the special bushings but they really didnt help me much. I go the old-school route of cut and fit.

Next after that would be cigar pens.

Designer pens are a hot item that seem to please more people than slims do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom