Newby question from an Oldy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi everybody! I have a newby question. My brother-in-law wants to learn to make pens. Now, I am well set up the way I like to make pens, but he wants to get the equipment for himself, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to invest big bucks to get set up like I am. So, what is a good quality beginner mandrel setup nowadays? I have him set up with a lathe and a basic set of tools, so to get started I think all he really needs is the mandrel and supplies.

I'll let him get hooked on his own, and then move him into turning between centers when he is hopeless. But for right now I don't want my Sister mad at me for costing him a bunch just to get started. :beat-up:

Thanks in advance!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

I would believe that the adjustable mandrel would a good bet. That way he can get use to doing one tube at a time for the C2C days. :biggrin:

Keep asking around though, as I do not know the quality of the various mandrels now days. I think the one I have is under a foot of dust. :laugh:

KenV

Scott -- there is the minimialist cash flow or the better gear approach. There is a price difference. Does one get a minimal cash flow live center with a 60 degree point or does one go with a double bearing interchangable point with a 60 degree point - Think Powermatic or Oneway or Nova for the higher end.

Likewise there are several ways to drive the basic mandrel MT taper, or collet chuck etc.

"A" (0.246) mandrel, drive connection (threaded MT2 is a nice minimal start), 60 degree live center, slimeline bushings, spare nut, and your on the way.

Rick_G

Assuming you don't want to set him up with Johnny CNC's bushings from the start which is the way I would go. William Woodwrite in Canada has an adjustable mandrel which includes 5 slim line bushings and the 7mm drill bit. I bought it before I got Johnny's bushings and it works well. The drill bit is brad point and longer than the other 7mm bits I have which is handy in some cases. File a flat on the end of the shaft away from the threads and with a small piece of wire you have a pin chuck for closed end slim or 7mm euro style pens. $19.95 Cdn

http://www.penblanks.ca/product.php?productid=3036&cat=35&page=1

He will also need the 60 deg. live center if he doesn't have it no matter which way you go.

BigguyZ

I would say the cheapest thing is to learn to TBC. I don't use bushings- just a caliper and patience. That way, there's no additional cost to getting a new bushing set each time I want to try another pen style.

ctubbs

Pen pro/ Bowl pro

Anoher vote for TBC and Johns bushings. I'd add to that a "PenPro." I wish I'd started there.
The pen pro is good, the bowl pro is great. I can turn pens with a bowl pro but can not turn bowls with a pen pro. My bowl pro and gun will be pried from my cold dead hands.:wink: OOPS, Political:eek:
Charles

Top Bottom