A newbie's latest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

A newbie's latest...working down the Christmas order that my wife placed. And I've about finished the order (thank goodness). I'm ready to try something other than a Slimline. This is a redwood burl blank. It was interesting in that the blank was pretty plain on the outside. It turned out to have some interesting figure.

2004122122836_RedwoodBurl1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brent

Gary, I like the redwood and the shape of your pen. wood is always interesting, you never know for sure whats inside until you get there.

Carole in VA

Gary,
Really pretty pen! I have a question...when you make a pen that is "fatter" than the normal slimline, how tight is the clip? Does it scratch the wood if the user turns it? Does it make it more difficult to clip to a pocket? I am a newbie and just wondering.

Fred in NC

Very nice pen, Gary... good shape and finish too. Great job!

Tip: I have a small pair of long nose pliers with tape around the end. I use to hold the ring part while I bend out the clip part. There is a way to test the bend before pressing it in, if anyone is interested.

The clip is not supposed to be able to rotate in the pen when the cap is properly pressed in.

Gary

Thanks for the comments everyone...it's great to get feedback from one's peers.

And Carole, understand that you are asking questions of another newbie.[:)] With regards to the "fatter" profile. I prefer it; I don't like the true cylindrical Slimline. Yes, the clip is tight. I use Berea Hardwoods kits, and they are VERY tight. I would consider a pen defective if the clip revolves on it. No it is not more difficult to clip in to a pocket...there is plenty of spring in the clip.

The thing I've found critical is that you don't want to make it too "fat" or the clip is deflected too much and that detracts from the appearance.

I use a digital caliper when I'm turning it. I turn the upper barrel to +/- .045 then sand it to final size. I've found that about .042 is maximum diameter for the upper barrel before the clip starts deflecting too much for my preference. Again it's a matter of taste.

I hope that answers your question...if not then ask again. People here have taught me, so I'm happy to share my limited experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom