A newbie's first attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Ok...here is my first attempt at turning pens...cut me some slack because I've been turning for only about two months on weekends. Actually that isn't totally accurate...two months turning is correct, but the first three pen attempts went in the trash. These are attempts 4-8. Top to bottom they are kingwood, cherry burl, Bethlehem olivewood, pink ivory and purpleheart. Seriously, any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

2004121421745_1st5Pens.jpg

2004121421843_Olivewood3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Gary, I will cut you some slack, but not too much! Seriously, your pens look very nice! Pens 6, 7, and 8 have a very distinctive shape. I make some pens similar to #5, with a little more rounded bulges. Finish looks nice in the pics, what did you use for finishing?

Again, congrats on a fine job!

Gary

Thanks, Fred. I finished these by sanding through #600 then two coats of Mylands Sealer, three coats of Mylands Melamine Lacquer followed with Renaissance wax.

wayneis

Gary the only criticism that I can come up with is that you may have acted a little hasty in tossing your first three in the trash judging by these. Great job.

Welcome,

Wayne

M

Mudder

They look fine to me.
You may be your own worst critic. My 4-8 were not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom