Newbie wants to make centerbands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

richs

Hello, apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere-I searched but was unable to find anything in the library...

I'm interested in making my own centerbands for slimline pens, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. All of my turning has been with using the pen mandrel (not between centers) and I wonder if/how I can make several slimline bands using a mandrel without the brass tube. Can someone please give me simple instructions or a link to a tutorial on this?

Also, I figured that I could probably just turn some wood between centers, but then I'm not sure what diameter bit I'd need to drill in order for the band to fit neatly over the transmission. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
http://www.woodturningonline.com/assets/turning_articles/slimline_centerbands/index.html

Rich, I don't understand how to do tinyurls, but this long [:D] link should give you a starting point.

ken69912001

For slimlines you need to drill a 1/4 inch hole. What i do is turn both ends down to where you want and then remove the center bushing and insert the wooden center band. Turn it down just a little proud and if you want give it a little design. I then put 2 bushing back in the middle with the band in between and finish it with the rest of the pen.

fernhills

Hi,or you can glue a contrasting wood to the cap blank and make it look like a center band and using a euro center bushing,which i find much easier.

Rich,

The method that I use to either eliminate or make a contrasting center band is easy.

When your drilled blanks are cut to size (including the width of the drilled center band, the ends are trued using either a penmill or a sanding disc (I use this).

I then glue the tubes into the blank and center band and clamp.

I turn the two blanks without a center bushing.

The only thing that may be tricky is getting the ends absolutely flat.

Larry
http://webpages.charter.net/lgottlieb2/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom