newbie with questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

coloradobob

Hi all
I have been a woodworker for about 25 years. I think I have built just about everything from furniture to wooden replicas of construction equipment. About a year ago I got into turning. I have been turning hollow globe ornaments and birdhouses to hang on the xmas trees. Just started turning pens. My questions are I am looking for a supplier for deer antler at a good price? And has anyone on the forum ever ordered from www.thevillageworkshop.net for bullet pen kits the prices seem to be very good. Thanks for letting me be a member of the group. Coloradobob from Widefield Colorado just south of Colorado Springs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Welcome Bob!! I can't answer your question, just wanted to welcome you to the IAP! I'm sure someone will come along and answer your question shortly... actually, it's Saturday, everyone is out in the shop!!!!!!!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Bob,
I don't know any commercial vendor that sells antler at what I call a reasonable price. Check with meat processing plants in your area. If they process wild game you might could make a deal to trade pens for antlers or purchase them at a very reasonable price.

KenV

Welcome Bob --

"Good price" is always different between the buyer and seller.

The kits and prices in the link you provided appear to be about the going rate. A few of the members here also sell the cases with or without the slimmie kits. Sylvanite

(Eric Rasmussen - Little River Crafts Rifle cartridges (bullet pen kits) for penturning available at:
http://supplies.littlerivercrafts.com )

there are a couple of good tutorials in the IAP library -- and Les Elm has written a couple that are available on other sites that are excellent - especially as they include bullets as nibs.

My bias is towards solder connections for cases and tubes -- then exoxy -- then CA. CA gets brittle with age, and funky with a little heat and I like zero avoidable failures. My take is that most who swear by it like the perspective that it is handy and quick.

Welcome to a wide range of opinions on most details and a lot of agreement on the objective of making works of good usable art,

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Welcome to the group. I took a look at the link you posted and have never done any business with them. I also looked at their bullet pen kits and while their prices are lower than some, they are offering it in a copper finish, it has been my experience that the copper tends to wear very quickly and I would stay with the Platinum or the Titanium platings for durability.

KenBrasier

Bob, welcome to IPA, it is a great site you will enjoy and learn from.I get all my antlers from local hunters by barter. The love to exchange antlers for something like a nice pen made with antler. One of our members was selline ot trading a bunch of antlers last week, you can do a search to find it........... Good Luck.

coloradobob

Thanks for the replies and advice. I think that I will get my prebuilt bullet cartrage pen assy. from one of the vendors here at IAP. As far as the antler goes I do not have any friends that are hunters so I guess that I will have to rethink this. Thanks again coloradobob

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Go to the meat market at your grocery store and get a some large bone. They may sell them, but they are cheap. the bone will turn better than antler, look almost the same, and smell a lot better. Nobody will know the difference unless you tell them.

Top Bottom