Newbie Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

madwood

I have been turning for just a few weeks and have completed a total of 8 pens. Basic slimline, from various exotics. So far, I've had a wenge blank blowout along with a cocabolo one. I figure percentage wise, 80% success ain't bad...but hope to increase that the more I do. Anyway, is there a way to reuse the tubes from the blowouts? I used 2 part epoxy to adhere the tubes into the blanks. Another problem I'm having is with chatter. What are common causes of chatter? Dull tools, wrong angle for the tool? I'm using a 1/2" gouge to do the blank sizing and a skew for final prep before sanding. I'm running at about 1/2 speed on my lil HF lathe. The chatter seems most prominant nearer the tail stock end, not bad at the head end.

Hope someone can help me figure this one out, it just drives me nuts! (short drive these days)
Thanks in advance,

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
John,

Sounds better than my initial success rate! You can turn the blow out blanks back down to the tube and lightly sand them if you wish. My preference is to buy a few sets of spare tubes for the kits I buy each time I order. If you "kiss" the brass while end milling, you will shorten the tubes slightly. While not of importance when turning slimlines, the Parker based and rollerball based pens are more sensitive to changes in length.

Chatter is often dull tools. Lots of info here and on the web with regards to sharpening can be found. I turn pens as fast as either of my lathes will turn. As you move away from the headstock, there is some slight run out and that will increase chatter. Use of a Beall collet decreases chatter, but the best method seems to be the mandrel less technique. Unless you order custom bushings, this method won't work with slimline kits.

Although I picked on his drawing, Lee has a good drawing of this technique in this thread.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35062

OldWrangler

Frequently the chatter is a result of the dead center vibrating loose. My Jet doesn't lock good at all. Sometime when turning the morse taper seats a little deeper and the tail stock needs tightening. Try this next time.

loglugger

If your live center is not 60 degrees it needs to be. I don't think HF comes with one but you can get one from them or other places. If it is not 60 degrees it will not fit the mandrel tight.
Bob

Top Bottom