Newbie questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXTurner

Hey all,

Some more newbie questions.

I've turned some slimline pens/pencils and am going to move to something bigger. I assume that means I need a new barrel trimmer, as mine fits the 7mm tube.

Is that correct? And do I also need a new mandrel? Or is there some means of turning the bigger pens on the same mandrel I'm using for the slimines?

All help appreciated.

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Mark, first off, spend some time in the library. Many of your questions can be answered there.

Most pens can be turned on the 7mm mandrel. Some of the Berea kits require the "B" mandrel.

Use your barrel trimmer. While you can buy sleeves for different kits, most of us will turn our own sleeves. If you have corian handy, drill a 1/4" hole in a piece and turn it to where it just fits inside of the tube of the kit you want to use. It will fit over the 7mm barrel trimmer sleeve and is used as a guide to trimming. Or, you can drill a 7mm hole, glue a spare tube in some scrap wood and do the same thing. Remember to use a Sharpie to label your sleeves.

Also do a few searches using some key words or phrases here and you will find most subjects discussed.

Welcome, and feel free to PM me for any questions.

ahoiberg

i've only ever used a 7mm mandrel. i know it seems like the big tubes wont fit, but when you get the bushings for the new kits, you'll see that the hole for the bushing is 7mm. granted, there are other kits that use the 'b' mandrel, but i've never been interested in those kits. so, you should be fine with the 7mm one for a while.

as far as the barrel trimmer goes, do like the others have suggested and turn some shafts to fit on your trimmer and inside the tube for whatever kit you're going to do. i think i have a shaft for sierra, cigar and baron/sedona that fits into the tubes for the corresponding kit. also, you might need to get a larger head for your trimmer, i did. i only had the small slimline/euro one that came with the trimmer i bought. you should be able to buy a separate 3/4' head for it at rockler or online.

Hello

when you say barrel trimmer, are you talking about the thingy that scrapes the wood of the end of hte blank so its even with the tube...or the thingy that scrapes out the inside of the barrel to try to avoid cracking with the pressue fit pen parts?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Hello

when you say barrel trimmer, are you talking about the thingy that scrapes the wood of the end of hte blank so its even with the tube...or the thingy that scrapes out the inside of the barrel to try to avoid cracking with the pressue fit pen parts?

Micah, he is OBVIOUSLY talking about the doo hickey with the scrapy thingamabob on the scrapy end.

Top Bottom