newbie questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwcatman

first, can anyone suggest a good quality SLIMLINE type pen design? i got some from one supplier and am not happy with em. course, they were cheap enough.
second, how can i drill a bushing hole in some antler? the antler would have to be cut square i guess so that i can chuck it up and drill it, then turn it. anybody have any suggestions? THANKS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

John,
Can you give more detail on what you did not like about the slimline that you have?
It is OK to say who you got it from. This will help us to help you.

I can't help on the antler question.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Not sure I understand the antler problem, I use it all the time and am uncertain what difficulty you are having. I get my slimline kits from: www.woodpenpro.com good pricing and I like them(get the premium ones).

louisbry

I get my slimline kits from: http://woodnwhimsies.com/Pen_Kits.htm Are you looking for a different kit or a design? If you are looking or a design I imagine that there are plenty of pictures on this forum that would give you direction. Just search for slimline.

ahoiberg

as far as slimline kits go, they're all relatively similar and none of them are expensive, so let's just say you get what you pay for with slimlines (get a quality plating if you can find them). none are really very "nice" in the world of pen kits. that being said, there's a lot you can do with slimline kits that will take you into a nice, quality pen. ditch the centerband and make your own, that's a good starting place. 7mm "euro" kits are the same drilling size as slimline (different bushings) but are a step up in appearance in my opinion. woodnwhimsies also carries those for a good price. as well as woodturningz.com.

nwcatman

thanks for the replys.
the slimline pencils i get from PSI don't have the double bushings like the ones from HUT do, and just feel cheaper. hard to explain.
the antlers i get are of course round (in fact off-round), the wood/acrylic blanks are square. so...the antlers are going to be hard to chuck up in a lathe or drill press to drill out the hole for the bushings, likewise hard to chuck up to turn. unless i square them up first on a table saw? this make sense?

John,
I find the easiest way to drill antler is to cut the end as near square an you can, make sure you have a near vertical line through the piece and then drill on a drill press, before you try to turn... if you turn round before you drill, you may be too thin and the heat can cause the antler to crack. I set mine on the DP table, holding it in place with a pair of slip joint pliers, then try to determine the most vertical line through the antler and drill. I lose a few this way, but not many. I've tried using the drill vise, but don't get near the results as doing more or less free hand.

Drill slow (I drill at 1100 rpm), back out often and keep your bit clear. Sometimes you'll have some marrow that's still moist and it will clog the bit quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom