Newbie Questions #3 - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasboy1 View Post
Just to answer mainshaft and screws into the collar.
Most of my sharpening is done with a strip sander, but Iím curious, since you mentioned sharpening with 600 grit. I have some 400, 600 and 800 belts. Does sharpening with a smooth belt give a sharper edge?
See the problem here is are your tools at the right angle for turning?? Can you hold the tool against a sanding belt accurately. ?? If the belt does not have a platen behind it then the belt moves in and out and that is not good for sharpening tools. Have no idea what a smooth belt is so can not answer that one.
By a smooth belt Iím referring to grit number. Higher=smoother
Chasboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
#7 All I can do is relate my experience getting started in pen turning. The only lathe I had at the time was my ancient Craftsman 12x36 metal lathe. I used the only cutter I had--a stub of HSS cutter mounted in the lantern style tool post.Regards,
Michael
Amazing. I had the identical lathe in my Metals shop!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
#7 All I can do is relate my experience getting started in pen turning. The only lathe I had at the time was my ancient Craftsman 12x36 metal lathe. I used the only cutter I had--a stub of HSS cutter mounted in the lantern style tool post.Regards,
Michael
Amazing. I had the identical lathe in my Metals shop!
Haha, mine was made sometime between '48 and '52, according to the SN. A bit lacking in precision for turning metal parts, but I did manage to turn a set of custom bushings on it once. The biggest hassle is the Babbit bearings--keeping those oiled flings oil all over the place for a minute or two. Would love to have something that really works for metal turning, but alas, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2019, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

[quote=mecompco;2011413]
Quote:
Haha, mine was made sometime between '48 and '52, according to the SN. A bit lacking in precision for turning metal parts, but I did manage to turn a set of custom bushings on it once. The biggest hassle is the Babbit bearings--keeping those oiled flings oil all over the place for a minute or two. Would love to have something that really works for metal turning, but alas, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Mine was foisted on me by my cheapskate boss back in '74. I kept complaining about the old leather belt DC MOTOR South Bends and he finally gave in!
It was fine for what I needed but the quality was not like the SB's.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
. . .
Most of my sharpening is done with a strip sander, but Iím curious, since you mentioned sharpening with 600 grit. I have some 400, 600 and 800 belts. Does sharpening with a smooth belt give a sharper edge?
Of course it can. Can a person feel the difference when cutting? Some can. Look a the sharpened edge under a microscope and you can see the difference between grits. Then the question becomes for some - does it actually make a difference in cutting wood 400, vs 600, vs 800?

The difference will be between those who settle for "good enough" vs those that settle for the best.

I am reminded all the time that "good" is the enemy of "best". After a while, one learns to "feel" the differences in grinds and honing.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks Hank, that follows with my experience and observations of knife making and sharpening. One eventually goes to a ‘crazy fine’ grit for the sharpest edge. I think I need a good hone!!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Visited Woodcraft today....like a candy store!
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads