Newbie Questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bryan84

Hi all!
I'm new here and I only have about 30 pens under my belt so I'm still learning.
Mostly slimlines and roadsters so far, about a 50/50 mix of wood and acrylics.

First question. A friend took a slimline twist and she loves it but says that it keeps retracting as she writes. I've written a few paragraphs, and pressed hard as I was writing, but I can't get the pen to retract unless I twist it. Seems to be operating as normal. All I can figure is that she is holding it in such a way that is causing the top to twist a bit. Kit is from Johnsons or CSUSA, can't recall, any thoughts?

I'm basically doing this as a hobby but wouldn't mind setting up a booth at a small craft fair or two. What's the best, and cheapest, way to transport 50 or more pens. Not that they would be displayed in that cantainer, I've got a plan for display, I just want a cost effective way to transport them safely.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Hey Bryan--welcome from up the road in La Porte!!

I've picked up a few pen binders that I carry at times, but the real answer will come from some of the folks who have been doing shows. Spend a little time in the Marketing and Shows forum http://www.penturners.org/forum/f22/ and it may provide some transport ideas.

And--make sure you post a pic of a pen each of the first 3 months in Show Off Your Pens to get entered into a drawing!!

earl

turncrazy43

The original question of the pens ink refill retracting while in use is interesting. You tried to duplicate it and could not. I suspect she did not fully extend the refill before trying to write. Try that.
turncrazy43

Chief TomaToe

I might just be delusional, but if I don't write with the pen correctly in my hand my thumb can push on the clip which slowly closes the ink refill. It's just a theory, but perhaps she is resting the clip on her thumb and is closing it that way.

mmayo

Some transmissions do retract on their own. I hate it. This occurs in 1/20 or so to me.

Solutions other than new transmission?

Dale Parrott

Welcome from Goshen, IN. My wife has that same problem with the pens, never did figure it out. For that reason she prefers a one piece Slimline or a clicker.

randyrls

Bryan; You tried with her pen? Ask her to do it in front of you. Tell her you don't doubt it is happening, but want to see what is going on. Most twist pens have a "detent" when extended. If you slowly extend the point you will see it extends and at the end of travel retracts just a small amount. If it doesn't, replace the transmission with one that has a detent. Slimlines are mostly interchangeable.

Possibilities are
The point extends too far, the ink fill shaft strikes the inside of the nib and the detent doesn't engage.
The ink fill is loose

Hope this helps...

Bryan84

Thanks all for the replies.

Hello neighbors in Goshen and LaPorte!

After reading comments I went back to the pen to test again. I wrote 2 paragraphs, seemed fine, no retraction. Then I looked at how the pen laid in my hand and saw the top part rest in the V of thumb and forefinger. I'm a rather large guy - bridge troll - pen owner is small. It occurred to me that her hand may only be touching the bottom half. No skin friction to stop it from moving. Tried it that way and sure enough- retracted.

Look for detent at end of extension - no detent.

So it looks I'll be getting that pen disassembly tool sooner than I hoped.

Thx for the help all.

magpens

Hi Bryan !! . Welcome to IAP !!

Write a couple of sentences in the Introductions Forum and your name will be entered in a monthly prize drawing for newcomers.

Dehn0045

So it looks I'll be getting that pen disassembly tool sooner than I hoped.

I suggest buying this: https://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html

and doing this: http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/removing_tranny.pdf

If you have a strong grip you can hold the pen in your hand (using rubber gloves for extra friction is also a good idea). I have gotten far more than $10 of use out of my transfer punch set. And haven't found a need for the special vice grips or disassembly press (there are many alternatives that achieve similar results, just do a search and you'll find a whole slew)

Bryan84

Dehn0045, got the transfer punch kit and gave it a try. I'm having a heck of a time getting the nibs out. That may be my issue though as I am limited what I can grab and pull and swing my left arm. No rotator cuff in left arm.

Would the pen disassembly kit solve that? Or other ideas would be appreciated.

Dehn0045

I haven't used the pen disassembly tools, others that have will hopefully share some insight. I am thinking that making a disassembly setup like the one in the library link would be equivalent. Another suggestion is to use one of these golf club vise tools (http://r.ebay.com/7Gd8QF) cut in half. Then using a bench vise you can hold the pen barrel quite securely without damaging. Just be sure to use a baggie or balloon or something to catch the part.

gtriever

Bryan, for taking pens apart I use the HF transfer punches, along with a Harbor Freight Arbor Press and a set of Disassembly Pliers . A little practice will allow you to get just the right pressure on the pliers without crushing the pen body, and I've found that the best way to use the arbor press for this is to tap, tap, tap the punch instead of trying to put constant heavy pressure on it.

By the way, If you have a Harbor Freight close by, they have a 25% off coupon that's valid today only.

Dehn0045

I took a look at the PSI disassembly press and can see that it would likely do the trick. I have a hard time spending that kind of money on a tool that can only be used for one task. So, to be clear, I don't think my disassembly methods are superior to using the press, just cheaper...

MRDucks2

Prior to figuring out how to easily disassemble with the HF punch set and a glove with rubber grips, I bought surgical tubing (think slingshot) at Lowe's, split one side and used pieces to cushion vice grips/pliers. It worked without marring the finish but there is a limited range between too much and too little pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom