Newbie Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SawdustHappy

First off, Thank you in advance for your help! I recently just turned my first pen, and am hooked! I cant wait to turn more!

I purchased 2 bolt action pen kits from rockler along with the adjustable mandrel and 3/8 bushings, Drill bit and blank trimmer kit.

My questions:
If I got some slimmer pen kits like the 7mm ones. Would they still fit on my mandrel and I would only need new bushings? And 7mm drill bit? Or would I need a 7mm mandrel as well?

Also, the 2 kits I purchased were 13 bucks a piece! Are there any good 1 wood section piece kits at a reasonable price you can recommend? I am hoping to make quite a few pens for christmas gifts and dont want to break the bank.

Thank you again for your help,
Sawdust Happy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

The mandrel should fit all pen blanks. There should be a list of things needed for each pen on the instructions. Woodcraft has a complete list of things needed to build each pen series. Very detailed with the list, steps to take to work squaring the ends, turning, etc. Never dealt with Rockler so I'll have to plead ignorance here. Will check Rockler in a minute.
Edit: Just checked Rockler and picked out a Slimline pen kit. You will find a link to the instructions which can be printed off. I have a large file of instructions for each pen series that I build. Happy turning!!!!

Last edited:

SawdustHappy

Thanks Woodchipper! I will take a look at the woodcraft store. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced starter kits? To hone my skills on?

Thanks!

WriteON

Reasonably priced One piece. I'm a big fan of the PSI Civil War Pen, Vertex and Knurl GT. There are plenty other 3/8" kits for less than $9 (to me anything under $10 is cheap).
Welcome aboard. You're hooked huh...You don't realized how hooked you are. Get a part time job for this hobby. Just kidding. Have fun. Safety first each and every time.

Sign up with PSI...get 10% off. They have specials and discount coupons periodically.

Last edited:

SawdustHappy

Reasonably priced One piece. I'm a big fan of the PSI Civil War Pen, Vertex and Knurl GT. There are plenty other 3/8" kits for less than $9 (to me anything under $10 is cheap).
Welcome aboard. You're hooked huh...You don't realized how hooked you are. Get a part time job for this hobby. Just kidding. Have fun. Safety first each and every time.

Sign up with PSI...get 10% off. They have specials and discount coupons periodically.

And I get 10% for signing up!? I am in! Thanks for the tip! I will sign up and check them out!

SawdustHappy

Ordered the Knurl GT starter kit & vertex 5 pen sampler kit. Seemed the best bang for my buck. Now I just need to wait 6 to 12 days for delivery :(

MRDucks2

PSI has the best selection out there and good deals. Exotic Blanks has the best prices I have found online and they are active members of IAP.

Not sure where you are in Indiana but the Indy Woodcraft is a good store with examples of all their pen kits made. WoodTurningz is another online store located about a mile from Indy Woodcraft with a pick up counter and the guys are great with advice and answering questions. They are second to Exotic Blanks on price, do not have quite the selection of kits and are great for Blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

SawdustHappy

PSI has the best selection out there and good deals. Exotic Blanks has the best prices I have found online and they are active members of IAP.

Not sure where you are in Indiana but the Indy Woodcraft is a good store with examples of all their pen kits made. WoodTurningz is another online store located about a mile from Indy Woodcraft with a pick up counter and the guys are great with advice and answering questions. They are second to Exotic Blanks on price, do not have quite the selection of kits and are great for Blanks.

I have only been to the woodcraft store once. They were remodeling and everything was on the floor. I just picked up a drill press vice & some friction polish and was on my way. I will definetly have to give them a second chance and see what they have!

I am in Greenwood! Nice to meet someone close by!

If woodturningz is local I will check them out and do my best to give them my business. I like to support local whenever possible!

MRDucks2

The store is mostly reset now, I missed the mess but was lost last time I went in. WoodTurningz is a little squirrelly to get to but by picking up your order (send them an email that you are local and Patrick or someone will follow-up) you save shipping and get dig around in the bargain bins up front. (Plan on another $15-$30 there). Dalecamino lives up off Southport & 65 ( haven't met him but he offered help) and I am actually down in Franklin.

SawdustHappy

Nice. I will check them out as soon as kids go to sleep! I will have tontouch base with him see if he cant take me as a part time apprentice! I live off of main st and I 65! I used to go to a wood carving group down at the franklin rec center. It is not far away either!

donstephan

Be aware that some pen coatings on the hardware wear off rather quickly. Berea Hardwoods was very helpful to me with that question. If new to turning you might consider making some pens from inexpensive kits with short-life metal coatings, then buy kits with long lasting coatings for your holiday gift giving.

SawdustHappy

Be aware that some pen coatings on the hardware wear off rather quickly. Berea Hardwoods was very helpful to me with that question. If new to turning you might consider making some pens from inexpensive kits with short-life metal coatings, then buy kits with long lasting coatings for your holiday gift giving.

I had no idea that was a thing! How can I tell the difference? As of now I have only made 4 pens so far. But have ordered a random assortment from PSI. I would love to be able to know the difference, so I know when I am getting ready for holiday gift giving!

WriteON

I had no idea that was a thing! How can I tell the difference? As of now I have only made 4 pens so far. But have ordered a random assortment from PSI. I would love to be able to know the difference, so I know when I am getting ready for holiday gift giving!

The Knurl and Vertex you ordered hold up nicely.

Beautys_Beast

I would suggest buying some Slimline comfort pen kits. 3 or 4 dollars a kit. Bigger center band, or you can throw away the center band and make them unique. You can even glue in the top tube, and not the bottom, and make them into a single barrel pen. Check the library on modified slimline pens. If you buy the funline arcylic bundle, the blanks are less than two bucks each. So for 5 bucks, you can make an acrylic pen and enjoy learning without breaking the bank.

This is a modified funline pen I made yesterday. To give you some perspective.

Attachments

• White Pearl slimline.jpg
    White Pearl slimline.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 136

MRDucks2

My learning pen was the Euro or Designer style slimline. I like the rounded top, enjoy turning the tenon for the center ring, vary the body style and went with copper on the first 20-25 I turned. Low cost, allows a lot of variation and can look nice. Will likely make something like the Big Ben my starting twist pen in the future to use the Parker style refill instead of the Cross.

SawdustHappy

Thank you guys so much! Really appreciate all the feedback! I will keep chugging aling and when I finish up with the vertex and Knurls I will look at getting some slimlines. 3 bucks a kit has me really interested!

Thank you for your feedback. The insight has been incredibly helpful!

Beautys_Beast

A less expensive option is to buy a bag of extra tubes for the kits you select. Then turn extra bodies and select the best for assembly. Not every turned blank has to become a pen.

I often use scrap pieces of 2x4 that I rip into 3/4 x 3/4 blanks just to practice with. I will glue in tubes, and turn them. When I'm done, I just turn all the wood off the tubes and use them again. Ive been doing this a lot lately while figuring out ways to do segmented pens. Once I get my procedure down, I replace the scrap wood with a nicer blank and turn the pen for good.

Last edited:
Trimline kit at PSI is a good learning kit. Not as small as a slimline. You can get 12 in 3 finishes for around 25.00 thru PSI,bushings are around 5.00. You probably already have the 7mm drill bit, most mandrels come with it. Depending on what you have for tools you can cut your own blanks or just buy a cheap set from Craft Supplies USA.

SawdustHappy

Trimline kit at PSI is a good learning kit. Not as small as a slimline. You can get 12 in 3 finishes for around 25.00 thru PSI,bushings are around 5.00. You probably already have the 7mm drill bit, most mandrels come with it. Depending on what you have for tools you can cut your own blanks or just buy a cheap set from Craft Supplies USA.

I have been working exclusively with the 3/8 sized so far. As they are beefier and I feel are more forgiving. At least in my mind. I will definetly get myself some 7mm. I will order some trimlines 12 for 25 bucks is right up my alley! Thanks for the tip!

I have a decent assortment of tools, so I can make my own blanks. I have already done so for a few pens.

Top Bottom