Newbie Questions - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Be aware that some pen coatings on the hardware wear off rather quickly. Berea Hardwoods was very helpful to me with that question. If new to turning you might consider making some pens from inexpensive kits with short-life metal coatings, then buy kits with long lasting coatings for your holiday gift giving.
donstephan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donstephan View Post
Be aware that some pen coatings on the hardware wear off rather quickly. Berea Hardwoods was very helpful to me with that question. If new to turning you might consider making some pens from inexpensive kits with short-life metal coatings, then buy kits with long lasting coatings for your holiday gift giving.
I had no idea that was a thing! How can I tell the difference? As of now I have only made 4 pens so far. But have ordered a random assortment from PSI. I would love to be able to know the difference, so I know when I am getting ready for holiday gift giving!
SawdustHappy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawdustHappy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donstephan View Post
I had no idea that was a thing! How can I tell the difference? As of now I have only made 4 pens so far. But have ordered a random assortment from PSI. I would love to be able to know the difference, so I know when I am getting ready for holiday gift giving!
The Knurl and Vertex you ordered hold up nicely.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2017, 01:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

I would suggest buying some Slimline comfort pen kits. 3 or 4 dollars a kit. Bigger center band, or you can throw away the center band and make them unique. You can even glue in the top tube, and not the bottom, and make them into a single barrel pen. Check the library on modified slimline pens. If you buy the funline arcylic bundle, the blanks are less than two bucks each. So for 5 bucks, you can make an acrylic pen and enjoy learning without breaking the bank.

This is a modified funline pen I made yesterday. To give you some perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
white-pearl-slimline.jpg  
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

My learning pen was the Euro or Designer style slimline. I like the rounded top, enjoy turning the tenon for the center ring, vary the body style and went with copper on the first 20-25 I turned. Low cost, allows a lot of variation and can look nice. Will likely make something like the Big Ben my starting twist pen in the future to use the Parker style refill instead of the Cross.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you guys so much! Really appreciate all the feedback! I will keep chugging aling and when I finish up with the vertex and Knurls I will look at getting some slimlines. 3 bucks a kit has me really interested!

Thank you for your feedback. The insight has been incredibly helpful!
Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 2

A less expensive option is to buy a bag of extra tubes for the kits you select. Then turn extra bodies and select the best for assembly. Not every turned blank has to become a pen.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2017, 04:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vic View Post
A less expensive option is to buy a bag of extra tubes for the kits you select. Then turn extra bodies and select the best for assembly. Not every turned blank has to become a pen.
I often use scrap pieces of 2x4 that I rip into 3/4 x 3/4 blanks just to practice with. I will glue in tubes, and turn them. When I'm done, I just turn all the wood off the tubes and use them again. Ive been doing this a lot lately while figuring out ways to do segmented pens. Once I get my procedure down, I replace the scrap wood with a nicer blank and turn the pen for good.

Last edited by Beautys_Beast; 10-30-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Trimline kit at PSI is a good learning kit. Not as small as a slimline. You can get 12 in 3 finishes for around 25.00 thru PSI,bushings are around 5.00. You probably already have the 7mm drill bit, most mandrels come with it. Depending on what you have for tools you can cut your own blanks or just buy a cheap set from Craft Supplies USA.
motorcyclemadman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemadman View Post
Trimline kit at PSI is a good learning kit. Not as small as a slimline. You can get 12 in 3 finishes for around 25.00 thru PSI,bushings are around 5.00. You probably already have the 7mm drill bit, most mandrels come with it. Depending on what you have for tools you can cut your own blanks or just buy a cheap set from Craft Supplies USA.

I have been working exclusively with the 3/8 sized so far. As they are beefier and I feel are more forgiving. At least in my mind. I will definetly get myself some 7mm. I will order some trimlines 12 for 25 bucks is right up my alley! Thanks for the tip!

I have a decent assortment of tools, so I can make my own blanks. I have already done so for a few pens.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads