Newbie question....TBC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

Guys,
I've only been turning pens for a few months and decided to start turning between centers. Having a problem getting centerband, nibs, and clips on slimlines to exactly match the wood barrel. I use calipers but don't know how much to allow for CA finish. I even finished some scrap with the same procedure I use on pens, 5 coats thin CA, 10 coats med. and then 5 more coats thin. Measures about .008. I measured before and after but am still not getting consistent fits.

I'd really like to get this down to pat before I venture to more expensive pens, etc. What am I doing wrong or not doing that I should be doing?

Any help would be appreciated. And... thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

D.Oliver

One thing you need to watch out for is that when you sand something between centers, you have to be very careful not the round the edges over. When you sand on a pen mandrel the bushings are there to keep you from rounding the edges over, but between centers you don't have that. You need to have a very light touch toward the end of the barrels. Another solution is the custom bushing Johnycnc makes: Login : Penturners Products!

His bushing are made for turning between centers.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I usually turn down to almost size and then sand to about .005 - .007 smaller than the measured size of the CB, nib, clip end. Then build up with CA to about +.004 or .005 and sand back down to size.

Top Bottom