Newbie Question Here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spec Grade

What kind of gouges do you use for turning pens?
I have a complete set of Benjamin's Best HSS gouges, so no problem in which to use.
Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

A 3/4" roughing gouge is probably best when getting started. Some people use a 1/2" bowl gouge. Start practicing with a 3/4 or 1/2" skew as soon as possible.

jlord

I use a 1/2" gouge to round out the blank. Then switch to a 1/2" oval skew to finish shape. I will use a parting tool to mark for tenons. I don't have a big selection yet, but these have done eveything I've needed to do so far.

DennisM

I was told to use the sharpest tool I had.

So I use my wit's :)

1/2 gouge for roughing and turning round to close to finished size then skew...

DurocShark

I like the 3/4" roughing gouge as well. I still use it for the bulk of my material removal. When I get to the shaping and finishing stage I almost always grab my small skew.

After watching Ed Brown at a demo at the first Midwest Penturners Gathering, I've tried to stick with my skews... I think one is a 1 inch and the other 1/2 inch... If I seem to have trouble getting started, I'll take 1/2 inch round nose to rough the corners off, then back to the skew.

When I was first starting I did use the 3/4 inch roughing gouge, but found I got too aggressive with it.... blew out a lot of blanks that way.... also learned I wasn't getting my tools sharp enough and that leads to ..... blow out.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can also rough off the corners on your belt sander. On really thick blanks, I have started using the sander more and sharpening my skews less often. Also, easier on the ears when you eliminate the corners without the BANG< BANG on the skew.

JimMc7

3/4" roughing gouge to round, then skew held as a scraper (flat on the tool rest and 90 degrees +/- a bit to the blank). Practice with the skew until you're comfortable -- you'll save a lot on sandpaper! I always grind skews with a curved edge rather than a straight cutting edge.

DurocShark

A gouge is a piece of paper that has abrasive material adhered to it.

I prefer an 80-grit gouge most of the time.

:wink::biggrin:

its_virgil

No gouges for my pen turning. I use skews from start to finish.

But, what if I had said a 5/8" parabolic fluted bowl gouge with an Ellsworth grind? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom