Newbie question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimS

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I have been turning for a few years but I've never turned pens. I'll be helping my wife by leading a turning club at her middle school. I thought that turning pens would be a good start. I'll have to aquire a few things specific to pens. The first thing is a mandrel. I was looking at the Penn State Mandrel Saver Package. Is this a good product or should I be looking at something else? What pen kit would be best to start with? Any other initial advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jp_white

Corian and inexpensive slimlines

I've had great fun teaching people to make pens using corian. It's very cheap and it's easy to turn and finish. Also, someone is selling 30 or 40 slimlines in four diffrent colors for maybe under a dollor a piece I bet you could make each pen for under $3 dollars. Good luck. I hope no one shoots their eye out. Just a little christmas story humor.

bensoelberg

Slimlines are often the first pen kits that people use, but a one piece kit like a Sierra might be slightly easier. Cost will probably be higher. If you are going to try corian, you tools will have to be quite sharp.

JimS

JP, who is selling the slimlines at that price? I'd like to get this started without breaking the bank. I don't mind investing in the kids but you know how they change their minds...today they want to have a turning club and tomorrow?????? That's why I wanted to start with pens. It's a project that can be quickly finished and it is something they can use everyday and have pride in their accomplishment.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Jim,

I believe the thread they were referring to about corian blanks was this one...

FYI! :wink:

IPD_Mrs

Kit wise the slim is a good starter, especially if you are dealing with middle school kids. Normally I would press for turning between centers but this is for a learning club I assume so a mandrel is the way to go. They will also get a better feel of the complete pen when turning together verses one section at a time. Also I would stick with the gun metal and chrome plated kits when working with the less expensive kits. The other finishes tend not to hold up as well, especially where middle school aged children are concerned.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Jim for just the price of shipping a medium priority flat rate box I will ship you 140 blanks of walnut and cherry, plus some misc other woods mixed in. That wil transate into about 8 cents a blank.

Mike

JimS

Thanks Mike!!

Mike,
I'll take you up on your offer. Could you send me your PayPal info. On behalf of the kids and my wallet, thank you.
Jim

Jim, to address your initial question about the mandrel saver... I started with a mamdrel held at the tail stock with a live center then went to the Mandrel Saver. Set-up was much easier and the blanks turn much truer for me with the Mandrel Saver, I highly recommend it. I haven't tried turning pens between centers but from the chatter on this site it sounds like the "truest" way to turn. I believe you need bushings made to be used between centers rather than the more readily available mandrel bushings (someone that turns between centers can confirm or dispel that belief).

Good luck with the kids, my middle schooler loves to turn here at home but the school doesn't have an active woodshop due to budget issues.

Chris

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Black Chrome

Kit wise the slim is a good starter, especially if you are dealing with middle school kids. Normally I would press for turning between centers but this is for a learning club I assume so a mandrel is the way to go. They will also get a better feel of the complete pen when turning together verses one section at a time. Also I would stick with the gun metal and chrome plated kits when working with the less expensive kits. The other finishes tend not to hold up as well, especially where middle school aged children are concerned.

Black Chrome seems to be as good or a tad better than gun metal. Also Satin Chrome should be pretty good as far as durability.

IPD_Mrs

Black Chrome seems to be as good or a tad better than gun metal. Also Satin Chrome should be pretty good as far as durability.

Thanks Smitty. I haven't done anything in the satin chrome as I was worried about it scratching. I really wish that the manufacturers would switch from chrome to nickel. It sure holds up better than chrome on furniture hardware.

JimS

Thanks everyone. I put in an order with Smitty and tomorrow I'll call PSI and place an order with them too. Wish me luck!!

JimS

Well, I called PSI for the rest of the things I need to get started and wouldn't you know it.......the mandrels are on back order. I was eager to get started because I have to teach myself to turn a pen before I can help the kids turn. I don't mind the wait but there is one girl that is so eager to start that she asks my wife about it EVERYDAY!! Anyway, thanks for the help everybody.

Top Bottom