newbie question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

doohboy24

hey guys i really appreciate all the help and hints here so far. i have kinda got the slim line pen down now and next question is: what is the best way to learn to taper the pen? to be able to add some character to the pen. thanks again for all the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

This may seem facetious, but the answer is practice. Get some 1/2" or 3/8" dowel, cut it into 4-5" lengths, put it between centers and have at it.

Ligget

Most of us hold our breath when taking light cuts with a razor sharp skew moving from one end of the blank to the other.

But if you should accidently cough, or sneeze whilst turning this can create marvelous profiles.

If you want fancy beads all you need is a good fit of hic-ups.

See pen below for example!

2007912172230_yoyospin.jpg
<br />

LOL![:eek:)] Only kidding, pen is one of Ed Davidsons (YoYoSpin) who is a master of beads and fancy shapes.

richstick1

As you practice, remember to always cut downhill. I don't mean to put your lathe on an incline [:D], I mean that your cuts should always go from the highest (thickest) part of the blank downhill to the lower (thinner) parts of the blank. This allows a clean cut with no chatter and less chance of a catch if using a skew.

Good advice above. When I got my lathe, the first thing I did was to buy a couple 2x2x8' pine boards (could also just rip a 2x4 in half) - chopped them into 8-12" pieces, and practiced roughing, shaping, etc.

rherrell

I did the same thing Richstick did when I got my lathe.Chop up some 2x4's and go to town practicing beads and coves.Practice,practice,practice. Then do it some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom