Newbie Needs used mini lathe pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Squeaky1

New hobby for me. Need used mini lathe for pens.

Also if you have bag(s) of supplies. This is for a senior citizen project.

Us ladies want to learn and we are trying to pool our funds.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Check CList for that used lathe...probably find someone in your local area that has one. I sold my Jet 1220VS on CList in just a few days....

Not sure what you mean by, "Also if you have bag(s) of supplies." Kits and blanks are everywhere? Unless your first post here is asking for 'freebies'....

Welcome aboard......

Scott (1st post want ad...neat) B

Squeaky1

Used mini lathe

I went to CL to all the cities listed which is all of Texas and surrounding states. There was only one mini lathe and they wanted $750.00 for it.

We are looking for blanks so that we can practice on them. We are setting up something we saw on line without a lathe.

We have a dremel so we purchased a dremel drill press ($32.48). We will attach the dremel to the drill press and we can handle one pen. Then we brought one mandrel 7mm. So we are going to practicing drilling before we buy a pen starter kit.

I know it sounds less professional but We will use our dremel to sand the blanks.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If you PM me your address I'll send out some practice blanks of easier to sand material.

Not sure I'll go overboard on your plan of attack with the drill press :eek:, but I won't squash your enthusiasm!

25 years ago I did make several pens with a drill press kit from Hut... NOT PRETTY! Some day when I'm brave I'll post a picture as I still have one of the pens. Miraculously it still writes!!!

WriteON

The Dremel might be too weak for your needs. Buy some cheap 30-36" dowels from Home Depot to practice or actually use. I bought some Oak. They might have maple. They work fine. They finish up nicely. Can be stained or left natural. They are cheap. They go a long way. Please wear safety equipment. Face shield,etc. Have fun. Be careful.

Last edited:

tazhunter0

PM me where you are at in FtWorth. I can bring a bunch of blanks for you to use. They are what I used when I started and I have a few hundred I can bring you. No name woods. Would have to be next weekend before I could get over to you.

Yes these are free.

Chris

I went to CL to all the cities listed which is all of Texas and surrounding states. There was only one mini lathe and they wanted $750.00 for it.

We are looking for blanks so that we can practice on them. We are setting up something we saw on line without a lathe.

We have a dremel so we purchased a dremel drill press ($32.48). We will attach the dremel to the drill press and we can handle one pen. Then we brought one mandrel 7mm. So we are going to practicing drilling before we buy a pen starter kit.

I know it sounds less professional but We will use our dremel to sand the blanks.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
New hobby for me. Need used mini lathe for pens.

Also if you have bag(s) of supplies. This is for a senior citizen project.

Us ladies want to learn and we are trying to pool our funds.:)
Too bad Texas is so far from Delaware. I have just what you need.

ironman123

Newbie Needs used mini lathe pen

Did you look on CList under tools then under wood lathes. I find them in Texas for 55.00 and up. One HF 8" pen lathe for 75.00 and lots of others.
Welcome to IAP.

Ray

Jim Burr

Banned
Jet 1014 should be within your reach. What kind of out reach have you done...clubs, eBay, CL, local paper?

Tim'sTurnings

In case you don't know what CL or Clist means it is "Craigslist", if you are not familiar with it. Just search for Craigslist on your computer, then choose your state and area. Then go to the tools section and enter "wood lathe" in the search area on Craigslist. You may have some inexpensive lathes in your area. FYI.
Tim.

Top Bottom