Newbie needs help in identifying a kit or maybe it's not a kit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jerry944t

As a newbie to this forum I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've perused several threads and what a great resource!

One of my friends showed me a turned pen he had purchased. The craftsmanship was unremarkable but I liked the kit if, in fact it is a kit. I would love to use this kit in future builds if I can identify it.

It is a twist pen using what looks like a standard refill like a slimline kit although it's a medium size pen.

The top is a chromed domed shape with a clip that clicks outwards. It stays in the position until you push it back in. Never saw that before.

The upper barrel has a small tenon which accomodates the middle ring which is fairly big, about 1/2" wide. The middle ring has a gothic kind of design, or sort of Greek. Sort of looks like a maze.The bottom of the middle ring slides onto the lower barrel, which has no tenon. The upper barrel has a greater diameter than the lower.

The most unique feature is the snap open pocket clip and the overall , what looks to me, good hardware.

I checked every pen on PSI and none came close.

Anybody have any ideas or links?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As a newbie to this forum I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've perused several threads and what a great resource!

One of my friends showed me a turned pen he had purchased. The craftsmanship was unremarkable but I liked the kit if, in fact it is a kit. I would love to use this kit in future builds if I can identify it.

It is a twist pen using what looks like a standard refill like a slimline kit although it's a medium size pen.

The top is a chromed domed shape with a clip that clicks outwards. It stays in the position until you push it back in. Never saw that before.

The upper barrel has a small tenon which accomodates the middle ring which is fairly big, about 1/2" wide. The middle ring has a gothic kind of design, or sort of Greek. Sort of looks like a maze.The bottom of the middle ring slides onto the lower barrel, which has no tenon. The upper barrel has a greater diameter than the lower.

The most unique feature is the snap open pocket clip and the overall , what looks to me, good hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that this clip also extends the refill---so the mechanism is actually a "click mechanism".

IF that is the case, no I have never seen such a kit.

WELCOME to IAP!!!
ed

its_virgil

Ed,
He states the pen is a twist and the olympia is the only kit I know with a clip that does what is described. Never understood what the function of that clip is.
Don

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You are absolutely correct, Don!!

Need more info. There was another small ballpoint that used the clip you are showing on the Olympic---have them at home.

Jerry944t

Thanks a bunch. That looks like the pen in question. The one I saw was in chrome.

The clip is hinged at the top cap so the clip snaps outwards. Feels like there's a detent inside of the cap. Then you put it in your pocket and the clip snaps closed.

The mechanism is a twist pen so the clip is just a "feature." I don't know why it appealed to me but it did.

Thanks you very much.

Jerry

Jerry944t

I ordered some of these from Arizona. Has anyone built one? Any "gotchas" I should know about?

This kit requires cutting an 1/8" tenon on the upper barrel. Not a big deal but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more efficient to just cut the wood for the upper barrel 1/8" short. My hunch is that I'm going to be told that then the middle bushing is compromised as far as final diameter of the blank and that's why you turn the blank full length and then cut it back. Correct?

Last edited:

kovalcik

I think it also has to do with the cut back area being square to the tube. If you cut the blank shorter, you cannot square it up with normal methods (barrel trimmer, sanding) after you glue the tube in. You could square it up on the lathe, but that is basically the same as cutting the tenon in the first place.

Top Bottom