Newbie needs guidance, please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Razorburne

So after successfully turning my first pen the other week (Mesa kit from Woodturningz), I went for my first slimline today. Drilled the blanks, scuffed and glued the brass tubes in using thick CA and waited about 35 minutes. I setup my barrel trimmer with the 7mm pilot shaft and came to realize the pilot shaft seems like a super tight fit - to the point that the sharp points on the shaft don't seem to enter the inside of the tube without creating brass shavings.

So first question is: is this normal? Didn't have the issue with my first pen of a larger kit, but checked against tubes from another slimline kit, and same sizing with the pilot shaft.

I went ahead and tried using the trimmer, and the shaft did enter the tube. Created brass shavings, and I also noted intermittent smoke coming from the other end of the blank. I came to realized the brass tube was actually spinning and moving inside.

I'm assuming the CA had not set yet and so the tight fit caused the tube to move and the heat from the tight fit caused the CA to beat up and smoke.

I think I have to scrap everything and start over but want some guidance so I don't screw up again.

Do I just need to let the CA cure longer before trimming? Is the pilot shaft supposed to be so tight fitting?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allisnut

Try sliding a new tube over your trimmer, it should fit and spin freely. Most likely you got a little glue inside the tube which made it tight on the trimmer shaft. That's been my experience, anyway.

Razorburne

Thanks Adam. I tried that though with an unopened kit and the fit of the pilot shaft was exactly the same. The shaft didn't slide in at all. I could force it in but in doing so it begins to mar the brass tubing.

Drewboy22

Thanks Adam. I tried that though with an unopened kit and the fit of the pilot shaft was exactly the same. The shaft didn't slide in at all. I could force it in but in doing so it begins to mar the brass tubing.

Then your pilot shaft may not be a 7mm shaft? Verify that you are using a 7mm shaft and try again.

What size shaft did you use for the mesa?

magpens

The tube should turn freely on the trimmer shaft ... if it doesn't something is wrong: maybe using the wrong trimmer shaft; maybe glue inside the tube.

By the way, I think most people prefer to use epoxy for gluing tubes in blanks. CA can be tricky because it can set while you have the tube part way in. I never use CA for this.

Razorburne

I double and triple checked to ensure I had the correct pilot shaft. It can't be CA inside the tube because I tried on the workpiece and tubes from another kit, both tight fitting.

I don't know if I feel comfortable trying to sand down the shaft but it's a good idea.

I guess I will contact Woodturningz and see what they suggest.

Joey-Nieves

hi Kieth:
I own a few barrel trimmers and to be honest I don't like them. I use mine for cleaning any glue that may have fallen in the tube, although they can be useful.
I have a sander with 100 grit red devil sand paper with the miter sled and I sand the excess of carefully.
The best thing about slim lines and other cross kits is that they are forgiving, so you can practice and perfect your style and will probably not ruin the pen.

I cut my blanks abut 1/8" to 1/4" longer than the tube, the harder the wood, less tear. Once I drill the hole I trim the blank on the band saw to just about a hair longer than the tube (this is an accurate unit of measure), the I clue with CA, apply some activator or wait a while and trim the ends on my sander. You should remove excess CA before it dries, because Ca can ruin the sand paper very fast.

There are many ways to do this, all are good, this is just the way I do it.

Joey

cal91666

HI Keith. Where did your trimmer set come from? Most are mass produced and its possible you got a bad one. If you bought it local to you return to the store and explain, demonstrate your issue. As others have said it should spin freely inside the tube.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Does your trimmer have a set screw in the collar? If it does, then you can remove the collar and, make it much safer for you. Or, you can let Woodturningz fix it. :biggrin:

chartle

Are your tubes maybe swished at all like they are out of round?

Last edited:

Razorburne

@ Chris ....no calipers yet but in the future. I will measure for sure if I have no other solution

@Jim....thank you for the kind offer. I will see what can or cannot be done first by contacting Woodturningz. I will contact you if need be. Thank you

@ Cliff....tubes are not out of round but it's a good idea

I put in an online contact to Woodturningz today - hopefully I will hear from them soon. If not I will call directly

chartle

Then it has to be a badly manufactured part since as far as I know there isn't an 8mm pilot shaft. For almost all the sets I have seen there is a piece of 7mm that goes over the 7mm shaft for 8mm tubes.

Also you can get cheap calipers at Harbor Freight. they just came out with one that reads in fractional inches. Made in the USA too, in Pittsburgh*. ;)

6 in. Digital Caliper with SAE and Metric Fractional Readings

*Note I live very near Pittsburgh and have never seen a tool factory around here.

stonepecker

Then it has to be a badly manufactured part since as far as I know there isn't an 8mm pilot shaft. For almost all the sets I have seen there is a piece of 7mm that goes over the 7mm shaft for 8mm tubes.

Also you can get cheap calipers at Harbor Freight. they just came out with one that reads in fractional inches. Made in the USA too, in Pittsburgh*. ;)

*Note I live very near Pittsburgh and have never seen a tool factory around here.

Great little tool to have. Priced right for what a pen turner needs. Back of package reads "Made in China"

chartle

Great little tool to have. Priced right for what a pen turner needs. Back of package reads "Made in China"

That's why I can't find the factory. :confused::rolleyes:

stonepecker

So Keith, Did you ever figure out what the problem was? What di you decide what was wrong? Interested if it was the tubes.

Sometimes just giving us what the problem was may solve another problem. Thanks for your help.

Razorburne

I contacted Woodturningz and they are sending me out a new 7mm pilot shaft for the trimmer and they said they will check it before sending it. They did confirm that what was happening to me should not be happening- the pilot shaft should not be such a tight fit that it actually chews up the brass. They actually handled the matter quickly - it was placed in the mail by the end of today.

I also ran to Harbor Freight today and picked up the digital caliper. I will check all pilot shafts and tubes to ensure I am not going crazy.

cal91666

Just curious. Did you put the caliper on the pilot shaft you were having trouble with? After a couple of weeks you'll wonder how the heck you ever made it without the calipers.

Razorburne

Ok, so here is the update:

1. The replacement pilot shaft came in the mail today. I tested it in the tubes of a slimline kit I had sitting around and it fits perfectly!

2. Caliper measurements demonstrate a difference in the two shafts (makes sense)

I am very happy - I will be able to turn this weekend and get some birthday gifts complete for some family and friends!

Top Bottom