newbie needs direction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalton

i am new to turning and am just getting started. I am ordering all my tools now. nothing available locally so I have to wait. one of my main goals is to make pens for my clients as gifts. I am a mortgage loan officer and I think that a hand made gift of a nice quality pen to sign the closing documents with would make a lasting impression.

here is my question, I will need to make 20-30 pens annually and will need them to be elegant yet affordable for me. imagine what type of pen would be meaningfull for you when you were signing the loan papers on your home. the right balance between expensive elegance and affodable practicality. can you make any suggestions that would fit in this catagory and still be reasonably low time to make (relatively that is) once I get the hang of things.

please understand that I don't expect to go from newbie to perfect pen maker overnight or with out putting the nessesary pratice and time learning. but getting supplies will take a while and I would like to try some of what the final product will be in the practice stages.

my other question is what learning materiels that are available are the best to get. I would rather buy once and pay a little more than buy twice
icon7.gif

thanks in advance for all your help.

dalton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

"nice pens" are the hybrid cigars -- not fancy, and a good step on the progression to better stuff -- Nice selection of finishes, good looks, and moderate cost -

And put a Schmidt/Private Reserve refill into it and pitch the ones that come with the kit.

IAP library is the best training for the money -- free but for the work of going through the practice.

Purchased training -- Russ Fairfield has some good DVDs out and his are pretty practical -- but do that after soaking up the free stuff on his website.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/

broitblat

I'd suggest the Elegant Beauty (either Sierra or the "original" dayacom) or, if you want something with more bling, the Majestic Squire. These are both single barrel ballpoints. The hybrid cigar is another good ballpoint choice if you want something a little heftier, or you can go to the Ultra Cigar, again, if you're looking for bling.

If you'd prefer a rollerball (drawback is that they are in two pieces so it's possible to lose the cap), I'd suggest a Jr Gent with one of the more durable platings (depending on your budget).

I agree about upgrading the refills, too.

-Barry

Drstrangefart

What I'm doing is getting my process refined and perfected on a large batch of Slimlines. Those are the basic workhorse and are relatively easy to do, and make for some really nice pens if they're done right. Slimline kits are also VERY affordable. There are a lot of different types of wood you can work with, and if you buy large boards of exotic wood and cut it down to 1 inch by 1 inch sticks yourself you save a TON of money. I'm getting ready to move on to Cigar and Sierra style pens, which are nicer, but the kits do get more expensive, so I'll be turning fewer for pure recreation.

dalton

one of the best things obout the forum enviorment it that you can get ideas and info from MANY different viewpoints. I love it. I apprecaite the suggestions given so far and if I am luck they will keep coming!!

thanks very much

dhallnc

What I'm doing is getting my process refined and perfected on a large batch of Slimlines. Those are the basic workhorse and are relatively easy to do, and make for some really nice pens if they're done right. Slimline kits are also VERY affordable. There are a lot of different types of wood you can work with, and if you buy large boards of exotic wood and cut it down to 1 inch by 1 inch sticks yourself you save a TON of money. I'm getting ready to move on to Cigar and Sierra style pens, which are nicer, but the kits do get more expensive, so I'll be turning fewer for pure recreation.

Drstrangefart, what kind of boards are you getting & where?

Thanks.

PenMan1

Whichever pen you decide to make, just be sure to equip it with blue ink. In many states, black ink is not allowed since the foreclosure issue. Blue ink stands out as "original signature" and not photocopied.

My preference for a "closing" pen is a rollerball with a FINE refill. It is often hard to initial in all the small places with a ballpoint or medium refill.

Last edited:

witz1976

Whichever pen you decide to make, just be sure to equip it with blue ink. In many states, black ink is not allowed since the foreclosure issue. Blue ink stands out as "original signature" and not photocopied.

My preference for a "closing" pen is a rollerball with a FINE refill. It is often hard to initial in all the small places with a ballpoint or medium refill.

I never knew that...wow I just learned something new.

Top Bottom