Newbie Here - First Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rpm_54

I've been following the forum now for a little while and want to thank everyone for all of the helpful information. The forums have been a great learning tool for a newbie just getting into wood turning and pen making.

Thank you to one and all... :)

Here's a picture of my first pens. Lots of room for improvement on the picture taking (no fancy setup - yet), and the pen making itself ( ex: need to improve my joints between the wood and pen parts). First pen was a European ballpoint in cocobolo. Second pen was a Gentlemen's rollerball in Zebrawood.

Would appreciate any comments and/or advice.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• First Pens.jpg
    First Pens.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Are you sure these are your first pens? Lol. Looked pretty nice to me. I am waiting to get my pieces hopefully this weekend to make my first Jr. Gent II. I have been doing mostly slimline and cigar pens with two patriots in the mix. I don't have an elaborate setup for picture taking either yet. From what I can see looks like you did fairly good getting close to the bushings. What kind of finish did you use?

rpm_54

Thanks Todd

First pens that actually got to assembly! I did trash a couple of blanks because of bad turning work with the bushings. I'm pretty detailed conscious so let's just say I'm slooow and careful at the point.

Finish was the CA/BLO method that I've seen throughout the forum - medium CA...

broitblat

Looks like you're off to a great start! Consistent flowing shapes, uniform finish, nice selection of woods, and no fingerprints in the photo :)

-Barry

Top Bottom