newbie here,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

I have turned acrylics and had good success also wooden pens,,but im not a big fan of the ca finish on wooden pens,,,normally I use a friction polish on them but for using the pen on a day to day bases it don't hold up that well,,can anyone tell me of a better finish for a wooden pen other than ca,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Beautys_Beast

Jeff, I hate to say it, but there is no finish that will stand up to use, like a CA finish. That's why everyone uses it. I too hate CA finish. It stinks, it's messy, my gloves always get glue on them, and then tear holes, etc. etc. etc. But when you want a durable wet look finish. CA is the only way to go.

randyrls

Jeff; As others have said CA is the best quickest finish you can apply. It does take some time to master the steps though. AND not everyone uses the same process.

What are you having problems with?

If you are having problems with CA, you have to practice doing it. I will turn a blank round (not to size), then sand and apply CA finish, now pick half the blank and remove the CA finish, change one thing slightly in your process. and refinish that half. Compare the two sides. Remove the worse one and try again. After 10 or 20 iterations you will have a great finish that you can apply quickly, easily, and reliably. When the blank is reduced to finished size, apply the most recent technique. and complete the pen.

crokett

I use paste wax on mine, with the exception of some open grained woods like black palm. While it does not give you the shiny finish that CA gives you, it doesn't dull over time with handling either. All of my early pens that I saw after being used had a CA finish dulled from being handled. Kits with much longer metal nibs such as Mesas might do better with a CA finish where you aren't handling the finished part of the pen all the time.

So far, customer seem to prefer the wax.

WriteON

I just started using Tru-Oil. It takes time to dry...takes 3-4 coats but it finishes beautifully and it's durable.

However I was not big fan of CA. Tried it..hated it. Sloppy, smelly, burned eyes and nose. Had a white paper towel smoke badly....thought the extinguisher was going to get activated. Hated the results...had to sand and start over...ended up with eee & friction. Fast forward>>>>> I watched some Utubes...did a lot of trial and error and got the hang of CA. 2-3 coats of medium and done. And nice!
Nothing is easy. Learn by doing, reading, etc. Stay with it. You learned to turn..You'll learn different finishes. Patience!!! and think it through. Compare notes...some turners apply 8 coats...some 2-3. You'll develop you own style.

I do not like thin CA...I use the same CA as used for gluing tubes.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

I turned some pine to about 3/4 inch or so and about 8-9 inches long then practiced finishes in smaller areas along the length. This allowed me to compare and have the same base/basecoat if I liked something. Figured CA out. Now I am trying to improve on my technique and try new things. Sometimes thinking I forgot how to use CA altogether until I get back to my basics. Someone on here smarter than me (that's a lot of members) commented that more CA does help a CA finish gone bad. I have been working to prove that and I believe he is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

PatrickR

I have turned acrylics and had good success also wooden pens,,but im not a big fan of the ca finish on wooden pens,,,normally I use a friction polish on them but for using the pen on a day to day bases it don't hold up that well,,can anyone tell me of a better finish for a wooden pen other than ca,,

Better is subjective, but there are options. I dip finish (info in the library). You can use lacquer, poly etc. I use KBS Diamond finish clear. None will be fast and easy. I do use ca as a sealer/filler.
Ive always found finishing the least enjoyable part of woodworking so chose one that has the least labor but is not the fastest time wise. Some on here can knock out a CA finish very fast and that makes a lot of sense especially if you are trying to sell.

Top Bottom