Newbie Help Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wcoyote

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to keep the barrels of slimline pens straight from end to end? Is it as simple as using a straight edge to check it? Being a newbie I was told the best pen to start with was the slimline twist. Is this the case?

Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jason,

Actually, keeping a slimline barrel perfectly straight is not an easy task. A good investment is a digital caliper from Harbor Freight to measure your diameters. Also, you can do what I do, convince yourself that a little contour improves the look of the pen. [:D]

les-smith

If I understand you right, I use my gouge or skew to get it close and then I use sand paper to finish it off. The sand paper will in most cases finish the barrel straight from end to end. I think that the more that you do the more you will trust your eye using your chisels. But, the 120 grit gouge (sandpaper) will usually do the trick for you.

hrigg

It wouldn't be my first choice, although I didn't know better at the time. A single piece barrel like the Sierra or Atlas is easier, in my opinion. Most slims with straight barrels feel too small, and I think that's why a lot of pen makers make them with a wasp-waist at the center band and a bulbous shape to the two halves. A graceful contour is more pleasing to me, so I make my slims with a gradual swelling toward the area where it's gripped by the writers' fingers.

arioux

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the site. Using a sanding block on the back of your sand paper will help you.
You should order the PSI DVD, they show you how to do a slimline and this trick is in there. Plus, it's FREE[:D], even the shipping.

Here is the link for it:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dvd.html

It's basic turning but helped me a lot when i started. Then, when you are a little use to it, order Russ Fairfiel dvd, it's not expensive and you got your money woth.
Hope this help you.

Alfred

gerryr

I think that whoever said you should start with slimlines either has never made a pen or had their head somewhere where the sun doesn't shine. Their only advantage when starting is price. Cigar, Sierra, Atlas(Polaris, Patriot) are all much easier with the Sierra probably being the easiest followed closely by the Atlas/Polaris/Patriot and even the ultimate hideous pen, the Gemini. Artist Sketch Pencils from CSUSA are also pretty easy.

Rmartin

I don't think slimlines are that much easier than other pens, although there are some which have issues. I think it's more the cost factor of the kits. I would not recommend straight lines! Nice gentle curves are easier on the eyes.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of penturning

Rmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom