Newbie help ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wobblybootie

Hi Folks, I am 'relatively' inexperienced with regard to modifying pen kits, so please bear with me. I ordered a few Sierra kits to use for casting experiments. No problem there ... one piece kit, simple!! The kits arrived today after their journey across the pond to sunny England. Good Grief!!! :eek:the tops of these things are downright UGLY and appear to be ready assembled with clip attached!! Do you folks mod these at all or just turn the centre section and call it a day?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wobblybootie

Cheers, I'll look at those ... who supplies those kits? Ah, Google is my friend ... I like the look of the Elegant Beauty/Aero ...

Last edited:

mrmartyking

I think that the Sierras are nice but the Elegant B is a nice pen as well. However, I just keep wanting to do kits that are more and more challenging and the Sierra is pretty easy.

wobblybootie

Thanks for the replies, I am not looking to challenge my turning ability, but to find a reasonable (read cheapish) platform to use should my first attempts at casting turn out okay.

Agreed, Free shipping from Oz with a minimum £45 ish spend ... No brainer!!

crabcreekind

Thanks for the replies, I am not looking to challenge my turning ability, but to find a reasonable (read cheapish) platform to use should my first attempts at casting turn out okay.

Agreed, Free shipping from Oz with a minimum £45 ish spend ... No brainer!!

Timberbits is a great place to order from. Good selection of kits to choose from and really cheap shipping.

KenV

The "old original" Sierra was pretty plain and took a single piece to turn. The lower section can be disassembled (knocked apart) and a custom lower sleeve can be fabricated over the brass core.

They have (in numerous variations and clones) been a popular pen with buyers.

76winger

Although not much different from the sierras, I like the gatsby from PSI a bit better because of the uniformity of the upper and lower bands. But the Elegant Beauty is the real treat of this class pen and look much better. Areo looks the same as EB but has a smaller size and smaller tube. The two together can make a nice his/hers combo.

Top Bottom