Newbie has questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I have some questions

1. I have been searching on the net for pen kits, I found a website for Steebar, they sell pen kits. My question is, have any of you bought anything from them? They have a kit called a slimline kit and if you buy 50 or moer you can get them for 1.35 each. What ya think?

2. What is the best pen to make for a beginner?

Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

As a beginner, I found that Euro pens were a good choice because they were a bit thicker but the Slimlines are really inexpensive so they work well when you're starting too (just in case you mess one up)

Wecome to the wonderful (crazy) world of turning.

Nancy

I do a lot of shopping at Woodturningz.com & Craft Supplies USA. They both have good prices.

johnnycnc

I bet you get some good replies to this one.
Steebar has not been a good company for several folks here to deal with,
myself included.:frown:
My free nickel's worth of advice: avoid them like the plague.
Plenty of other good companies out there, such as Beartooth Woods,
Craft Supplies, Arizona Silhouette, Penn State Industries, Wood-n-Whimsies, and others.

splinter99

Hello and Welcome
First off.I have never delt with Steebar but have read dozens of complaints about them for taking peoples money and not sending the product..I would also recommend woodturningz and would recomend the slimline kit as a good starting point, from there the Euro and Cigar pens are good choices

Harold

rej19

Welcome Kieth, I have never bought anything from Steebar myself. You can do a search and read lots of stuff about them. A good beginner pen is the Sierras, Aeros, Elegant Beauties, Carabas etc. These are all one piece pens using only 1 pc of wood or acrylic. They make very nice pens. They are a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion.

I don't know about steebar, but as far as beginner kits. I say "comfort grip and slim line." start every pen with the thicker comfort bushings. if everything is going good. reduce the bushings and turn down to the slim. the comfort is thicker and leaves more meat. plus, if you screw up and it is within one inch of a bushings, you just hack it off and use the rubber grip that came with the kit. I had several pens with rubber grips, that were not meant to be that way in the beginning. even an accident with the trimmer can sometimes be saved. the one with a grip in this photo was a salvage.

Attachments

• tear out.jpg
    tear out.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 140
  • smiley.jpg
    smiley.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 139

its_virgil

I really don't know how the slimline became the "beginner" pen because it is not the easiest pen to turn when turned the way it is designed. It takes a bit of skill to turn a pen blank to the diameter of the slimline which leaves very little thickness of wood covering the tube. I would assume that it is still the beginner pen of choice since the slimline was one of the first kits availble to use many many years ago. Another possible reason is the relative expense of the slimline kit compared to other kits. Several kits are much easier to make than the slimnline but I suppose the slimline will continue to be the starting place for most new penturners. ...something about which to think.:biggrin::rolleyes:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

rwyoung

I will speak to the beginner = slimline topic:

As a beginner (I have completed exactly 6 pens) I have had no serious problems with the slimline. I've made 5 slimlines and one Wall Street II (Sierra). 4 of the slimplines from black walnut (and as such very easy to turn) and one from carribean rosewood. And I cut up some extra blanks and turned a few "spares" for practice. Those were in white oak and south american rosewood. In all, 8 sets of tubes turned. Only one blowout and that was my fault for not being patient enough and letting the glue set. I was using Gorilla Glue and not CA for gluing the tubes. No big deal! Chalk it up to experience. :)

And for the record, only one of the slimlines is a straight body pen. The others I've been piddling around with adding a little bit of shape as either an urn shape terminating at the nib (yes, I realize it looks a bit like a scallion) or very small coves and beads. The blank that blew was one I was cutting a bead. The skew went a little to deep, hit the brass and the rest was history.

The reason for turning the slimlines is because I didn't need to purchase any additional bushings. The one Wall Street II was done at a pen turning class in a Woodcraft store so they supplied the bushings. Now in the future I will probably switch over and do some larger boddied pens and start collecting the bushings. But for now I'm fine with the limitations and challenges of a 7mm tube.

Last edited:

rwyoung

Take a look at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles for some slimline modifications for your piddling list of things to try.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Way ahead of ya! I've got copies of his articles already on in the "pen turning" directory on the ole' hard drive. :) I'm most interested in his click pencil modifications. I use a 0.9mm Pentel all the time and it would be fun to convert it to a woodie. Put down as item #7,343 out of #11,343 of the small projects and things I want to try and make...

its_virgil

Check back each month. HE writes a penturning article for More Woodturning and HE posts the articles after they are published. Who is that masked guy? :biggrin::wink:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Way ahead of ya! I've got copies of his articles already on in the "pen turning" directory on the ole' hard drive. :) I'm most interested in his click pencil modifications. I use a 0.9mm Pentel all the time and it would be fun to convert it to a woodie. Put down as item #7,343 out of #11,343 of the small projects and things I want to try and make...

flyingmelon

If you order from Steebar I know you are a betting man. I made that mistake when I started and learned you get what you pay for. I did eventually get the product but had already bought from another company and received and turned some pens before getting them. I was never able to get through to the company by phone or e-mail. That was over a year ago and they may have changed but once burned twice shy. Another source for inexpensive slimline kits if you are just looking for practice kits is the funline series from I believe Craft Supplies.
Like stated by other posters this is just my opinion on that company but I have found many excellent sources for kits and have not had any problems from any of the companies that are in the vendor area here on IAP.

Wild Turkey

I to, never again, ordered a small batch of suppies from Steelbar. Eventually the order came in, but in the mean time I had re-ordered thru another source and had most of those kits used before the Steelbar order came in. I like flyingmelon could not reach anyone at Steelbar the check on status or what happened to order. There are many great sources out there AS, W&W, etc. that are just great. I did this even against the advice of a friend who told me to stay away from Steelbar, but went the cheap way and paid the small price, just in time only.

johnny1211

I too have ordered from Steebar, before searching on this site. I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, I found a numbe rthey actually answered. I received my product, but after much, much, effort on my part. I have had great luck with Arizona Silhoutte, Berea, and Woodturningz.

danroggensee

I f you look on here there is a co that sell 10 kit for $11.00 and they are not bad for just starting out. I have got some from them. and like i said not bad. I thank it si Bostonclayworks.com.

dannie

Pocono Bill

I turned a Steebar pen recently only because a company representative handed me a sample kit at a woodturning seminar. I wasn't overly moved by the pen. I cannot speak about their business practices.

As far as slimlines, you can buy 24K slimlines cheap and if you mess one up, no big deal. Actually I make these using attractive, but inexpensive, blanks (bocote, redheart, etc) to give as "thank you's" or door prizes. As your turning skills improve try other styles to find what you enjoy turning.

Bill

Top Bottom