newbie burl question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kruzzer

Newbie heae.....I was recently given two burls. One is Amboyna and the other Afzelia. Both great looking pieces of wood with probalby a good 4-5" square section of burl. My question is do all burls nees some stabilization or special treatment before of after they are cut into blanks??
both pieces look solid and coated in wax.
Any input will be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I don't think you'll have issues with those two. Amboyna I know is very dense (unless it has started to rot) and tight grained so stabilizing isn't normally needed. Heck it can be down right hard to turn without adding more to it, the couple pieces I've turned felt like rock while turning.

Nolan

I would suggest checking moisture content so you know how wet it is. This way you can control the drying so it doesnt crack. Both are very easy to dry and keep stable.

kruzzer

Nolan,
from what I've read here I check the moisture content by using a scale and micro wave.
Should I do this before or after I cut them into blanks????

bradh

I just turned some Amboyna that was softer than normal and pieces chunked out.
If that happen, just coat the blank in CA when you get close to size and that should hold it together.

Rifleman1776

I don't think you'll have issues with those two. Amboyna I know is very dense (unless it has started to rot) and tight grained so stabilizing isn't normally needed. Heck it can be down right hard to turn without adding more to it, the couple pieces I've turned felt like rock while turning.

What Mike said is probably good info for those woods. But, generally, burls are mysteries as to what they are going to do. Many are just looking for an excuse to fly apart while on the lathe. I get my domestic burls stabilized. Will soon start doing my own.

Nolan

Nolan,
from what I've read here I check the moisture content by using a scale and micro wave.
Should I do this before or after I cut them into blanks????

yes you can do it that way but will need to remove some wax off a side or two so the moisture has somewhere to go. You can cut a slice off for blanks and monitor the block after that. Then if you find it is pretty wet just put it in a bucket or box and cover with some sawdust or a blanket (this helps control moisture loss) Basically you just want it to dry at a slow steady rate and at a moderate temp. Don't put in sun or attic as it will heat up too much and crack. Really the biggest friend in drying burl is time. If you just gotta turn one, take that slice you cut off the block and cut it into blanks then nuke a blank in the microwave. Do it in 15 second bursts. So 15 seconds take out and feel , smell, fondle :eek: etc, then repeat as necessary. You can even drill the hole in the blank if you know what pen your doing that way it drys faster and without so much "cooking". Hope this helps PM me if you have any questions.

kruzzer

thanks to everyone for the input... I'll let you all know how it turns out. Probably won't get to actually cutting a blank for a week or two.

Top Bottom