Newbie basic supplies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to collect the supplies for pen, bottle stopper, etc turning so that I won't get half way through making something and have to wait for a particular item. Many of you use micromesh - what grits should I get?? 1 of each, or maybe skip some? What sizes should I get - 3"x6", 6"x12" or some other? Also what type of CA glue to buy? thin - thick? and where in Canada to buy if someone knows (liquid stuff can't be shipped by mail from US to Ca.) I already have a some pen kits on order from PSI so I should be OK there (hope they get here soon). I know it's a lot of questions but any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, George:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

I'm new at this also, so I'll let the other guys answer most of your questions. But one thing you should get extra of is pen tubes. It's easy to get a bad glue up or a blow out while turning and need an extra tube to finish. Good luck!

R.T.

ryannmphs

First off, welcome. I am also new at pen turning, and I have been turning wood for less than a year, so I am still a "newbie".

You should be able to get the CA locally at any hobby store. I would get thin and med CA, along with the accelerator and debonder, definatly the debonder.

I have not used the micromesh yet so I can't help you there.

As far as pen and bottle stoppers go check with Woodturningz, they are generally cheaper than PSI (and it is PSI's stuff) and the staff there are really helpful. On my first order I had a bunch of questions they were answered quickly and they double checked to make sure I had all that I needed (bushings in particular).

Good luck and welcome.

Ryan

Rick Prevett

George, for the Micro Mesh, Berea has a great deal. $10 gets you 9 4"x3" sheets and a rubber pad that works real well. Micro mesh doesn't use regular grit ratings, but theirs goes from 1500 to 12000. From what I've read, I think 1500 is about equal to 400 grit, and it goes up from there. Available from their web site. No relation with the company, just a satisfied customer.

rick

Fred in NC

Hello and welcome to the group!

I get slimline tubes in 10" lengths, as I often make customized pens that require a slightly longer tube. This way of course I end up with extra tubes from the kits. Woodturningz has them.

I have micromesh but seldom use it. One thing to remember is that the micromesh grit numbers have no relationship at all to regular sandpaper grits. If I remember correctly 6000 micromesh is the equivalent of 2000 wet and dry. Wet and dry sandpaper is much cheaper and the finer grades are usually obtainable from auto supplies since they are used to sand paint jobs.

I seldom use CA glue anymore. I use 5 min epoxy, and in the US one of the cheaper sources is WalMart, $2.

Good drill bits help a lot. Don't skimp on that, carbide lasts a lot longer.

One more thought... get some plastic boxes or drawers to organize it all!!

Happy penturning !!!

Efletche

As a newbie myself, I would recommend that you get twice the amount of blanks as you need. I have had several pens blow up on me and have to wait for replacements to come in. It won't hurt to have a few extra blanks laying around. Fred mentioned plastic boxes. Lowes has a set of 4 plastic trays in a holder made by Black & Decker. You can find nice deals on storage containers at Big Lots and Dollar stores too.

bud duffy

harbour freight has a set of small, about 4x6 plastic bins with wall hanger things i think its 12 or 14 of them in a set for just a few dollars i got them and they are real handy i put them on the wall by my drill press and pen assembly area of the bench , they even have little slots for labels.

Fred in NC

Blanks? If you can get some scraps of maple, cherry, walnut, etc. that would make very nice wood to start with. I would cut them to 3/4" sq. with grain the long way, to start with. I found that the length is not important unless you want to fit them in a box.

I mark the center (where the grain meets) with a carpenter's pencil, and put a rubber band around each pair of blanks. Of course, if you are going to make slimlines out of the, you can drill them at this time, and even glue the tubes in. I don't think you should prepare too many blanks to start with, while you are experimenting with your first few pens. Until you learn to glue the tubes correctly you might 'experience' a few blowouts.

Which brings the point of drilling and glueing. PLEASE, remember this is a forum, and we all have our own ideas. What works for me does not always work for someone else ....

The brass tubes MUST be properly prepared. Brass tubes have a very slight grease coating from manufacture. This must be removed. The3 tube must be scuffed with sandpaper, I use 80 grit, to give the tube some 'tooth' for the glue to hold on to.

The hole, when properly drilled, should allow the tube to be inserted easily. Remember, you need space between the wood and the tube for the glue. This space is about the thickness of a sheet of typing paper.

I usually put glue on one half of the tube, and insert and twist from one end. Then I remove it, finish coating with glue, and insert it all the way from the other end. Unglued areas, especially at the ends, cause blowouts when turning the barrels.

Happy penturning !

BarryK

Geo:

I live in Richmond BC. The problem with using US suppliers is we get nailed on exchange rate, shipping, and duty. I try to find Canadian suppliers.

For CA glue try Lee Valley (use their website) or KMS Tools in Coquitlam BC (also a good website)*KMS is a great source for Nova chucks and Hamlet and Ashley Ayles tools.

For Micromesh try Jacques Coloumbe in Quebec his website is good and his prices seem fair. I use MMesh from 1800 to 12000 on pens. Be careful with the Micromesh - it can melt.

Have fun!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
To my neighbours up north (Canadiens):
Not only do you tend to get hurt by the exchange rate, customs also looks quite heavy handed at GST, PST, duties and brokerage fees. I don't pretend to know all of the ins and outs, but it is something to watch for. There is a fairly new site that I found a few weeks back. I haven't tried them yet, but they may be of interest to you!
http://www.woodchuckers.com/ [8D]

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Thanks to all those who replied with all the good information. I will be looking at all of it. When I turn something worth taking a picture of I'll be sure to post it.
Thanks again, George[:)]

wayneis

George Welcome to the IAP. To answer some of your questions, purchase all the grits of Micro Mesh, never skip grits in any type of sanding, either with MM or with paper. Each grit removes the scratches from the last. If you go to www.internationalviolin.com you will find the best deal around for Micro Mesh, he sells 6" x 12" sheets for $4.00 each, it sounds expensive but you can use it over and over. Just wipe it on a piece of blue jeans and when it is too dirty, put it a pants pocket and through it in the laundry to wash. The most important thing with MM is heat, do not over heat MM, it will melt. Keep it moving. Many of the pen makers that I know have switched to either epoxy or something like gorilla glue for gluing in the tubes. It is easier to see if you get it inside a tube and also easier to clean out. You want your tubes as clean on the inside as possible when you assemble the pen or you will expand the tube or crack the wood, just makes a big mess. In fact unless you plan to use as a finsh, you don't need much CA at all. Just a small bottle for repairs and once in a while to glue on a kit piece like a center band. I use a product called Enruro Polyurathane as a finish and there are a few others that are also very good. I hope that I helped a little, if you have any more questions ask away.

Wayne

Welcome to the best penturning forum around! I use a drilling centering jig sold by Ryan at wood turningz (1-888-pen-kits) to center all my blanks for drilling and it works great with any size blank, even the ones that are not square. It's a little pricey but will save you countless hours of trying to deal with off-center holes. Just tell them Bev sent you! As far as tools, you can use just what you have for the bowl turning. If you want to get a smaller lathe for the little things, the Jet mini is a great little lathe and it comes in manual adjustment for speed or automatic.

Thanks Wayne, I tried to order MM from International Violin but it looks like they ship UPS. I sent them an email - if they will send USPS I'll go with them, if not I guess I'll try someplace else. Reason for not wanting UPS is their exhorbitant brokerage fees. I've heard up to $40 for a small parcel!! With USPS it's only $5 cdn at my end from Canada Post (plus the stupid 7% GST & 7% PST for the crooks of course).

Bev, I already have a Delta midi and turning tools and I'm waiting for a starter kit from PSI so I guess I should be OK. I got the free DVD from PSI a while ago so I ordered the starter kit from them so I could use the $10 coupon that came with it.
Thanks for your help, George

Lou:
Thanks for the info. I didn't see anyplace I could specify the type of shipping but I see they have a toll free number (duh, didn't see it at first[:I]) so I guess I'll call them tomorrow. I looked all over the place and I couldn't find MM any cheaper.
Thanks, George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom