Newb ?s I want to branch out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brandon25

I'm about to make a few pens as samples for a potential client. Right now I have only slim and Euros under my belt. I want to make at least one more than I can charge a little more for. Suggested to me thus far are the Tapa Pacifica from Woodpenpro, as well as the Navigator from Woodcraft. I also see that a lot of people here like making Sierras. The Pacifica and Sierras seem very easy, as it's just a straight shaft. Any advice on these or other good middle of the road kits? I'm not ready for a $20 kit or anything. The ones listed are all around $7, give or take. I'm not interested in a gold finish that will wear off, so I think I'll be sticking with titanium or chrome for most.
Also, the Sierra says that "if you dont have the complete arbor plus mandrel & brass knurled nut , you will also need this to make the kit." What does that even mean? I have a normal collet 7mm mandrel, a hex nut on it. and a live center in the tailstock. Am I good?

Please advise on any and all accounts.
Much appreciated.
Brandon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyingmelon

Cigar?

Pretty easy to make. Slight taper to the tubes but can really show off some figure if your blanks have them. Also the Atlis is a nice simple kit in that price range that is a one piece that looks pretty good for a more compact pen.

MobilMan

Brandon, The Wall Street II is one of the easiest pens to make that I know of. Only 1 thing to be pressed together. The Wall Street III is a different size & needs diff. bushings. The II at Woodcraft is a very nice pen. Can be made on any 7mm mandrel. A small spacer next to the headstock end, then the kit tube & bushings, then spacers.

its_virgil

Woodcraft resells Berea kits and they can be purchased cheaper with many more plating choices from our friends Bill Baumbeck at http://www.arizonasilhouette.com or Ernie McFarlane at http://www.beartoothwoods.com The Woodcraft navigator is actually the Baron from other sources. The sierra can be made on the mandrel you have. You may consider getting a knurled brass nut to replace the hex nut that came with your mandrel.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Brandon, The Wall Street II is one of the easiest pens to make that I know of. Only 1 thing to be pressed together. The Wall Street III is a different size & needs diff. bushings. The II at Woodcraft is a very nice pen. Can be made on any 7mm mandrel. A small spacer next to the headstock end, then the kit tube & bushings, then spacers.

steve_mcloon

Brandon-
I like the Navigator. I buy it as the Baron from Arizona Silhouette. Woodcraft does not sell the higher grade finishes. I prefer a closely related kit, the Sedona. I recommend starting with a little thicker pen blank than you might use for the slims & Europeans. The problem with the Baron/Sedona is that you will be pushing towards $15 for the better finishes.

I prefer pens that showoff the wood rather than the metal/plastic of the kit. Thus, I am not a big fan of the Sierra type kits. I realize that this statement will get my IAP membership revoked.

You might want to look at the Olympia (from AS), which is a variation on the European. I think it is a little more interesting. I like doing segmented pens, and I most often use the Streamline (also from AS). It is a variation on a slim. People like the shape and weight of the Streamline (i.e. it sells well), and I think it shows off the wood well. An easy embelishment for the Streamline is to turn a center ring with a wood that contrasts with the wood of the main barrels. Both the Olympia and Streamline are in the $8 range.

Just some more things to think about.
-Steve

Brandon25

My goodness,
Thank you all for the fantastic responses. I want to give each suggestion its due, so I'll be waiting to post back until I can check out each proposed kit. I'm sure I'll have a million questions.

Brandon

thewishman

Brandon, the cigar pen is my best seller and does a great job of showing off your material - especially in relation to its kit price. It is also a forgiving pen as far as fit tolerance. All material ends are covered and both bottom barrel ends have surrounding kit parts that can mask poor fits.

(Voice-over announcer) "All opinions expressed are those of the opiner and may not reflect the views of management. Offer void in California. No substitutions or rainchecks. Not responsible for lost of stolen items. All rebates to dealer.

IPD_Mrs

Brandon,
As many have said you should be fine on the Sierra/Wall Street/every other name. You may need to use a spacer as said above since it is a one piece. Other options mentioned have been good. The Navigator is the same as the Baron and can be bought cheaper at other places.

Other ideas.....
The Jr. Gents from CSUSA are decent and the nice part is that two other kit styles use the same bushings and drill bits. The rhodium and Ti kits are around $13 regular price and are reasonable when you get in on a group buy. Another option would be that Rockler now sells the black Ti Jr. Gent. Their price is $14.99 but we get coupons all the time for 20% off an item or $10 off a $30 purchase. On the latter coupon this makes the kit $9.99. I know you don't have a Rockler in Louisville, but there are ones in Cincy and Indy if you are ever in those locations. Anyway just a thought.

Mike

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Brandon-
I like the Navigator. I buy it as the Baron from Arizona Silhouette. Woodcraft does not sell the higher grade finishes. I prefer a closely related kit, the Sedona. I recommend starting with a little thicker pen blank than you might use for the slims & Europeans. The problem with the Baron/Sedona is that you will be pushing towards $15 for the better finishes.

I prefer pens that showoff the wood rather than the metal/plastic of the kit. Thus, I am not a big fan of the Sierra type kits. I realize that this statement will get my IAP membership revoked.

You might want to look at the Olympia (from AS), which is a variation on the European. I think it is a little more interesting. I like doing segmented pens, and I most often use the Streamline (also from AS). It is a variation on a slim. People like the shape and weight of the Streamline (i.e. it sells well), and I think it shows off the wood well. An easy embelishment for the Streamline is to turn a center ring with a wood that contrasts with the wood of the main barrels. Both the Olympia and Streamline are in the $8 range.

Just some more things to think about.
-Steve

I suppose you will be asking for a refund of your dues?? :biggrin::biggrin:

makaiolani

If you are seriously thinking about selling your pens then you should really consider the High End Plating. You need your pens to last. You can also charge more if your pens last. Then you will get repeat business. Remember word of mouth is the best and worst form of advertising.

I remember giving my friends a Gentleman's pen with 10K and I was embarrassed when I saw it a few months later with most of the plating off.

Brandon25

Sorry for the delay in responding to you all. Power's out in my city from Ike's winds.

The help and suggestions are overwhelming. If you dont mind, all of you, I do have some followup questions. To start, I've decided for now I'll be adding two pens to my arsenal. I want a single barrel like the Siera/Wall Street II, and I also want a Navigator/Baron type. So here are my questions. First, about finishes, which are good? I think I've learned that gold is no good, no matter how expensive? No love loss there. I'm not a big fan anyhow. Also, I dont want to spend almost twice as much on a kit just for some superhodiumtaniumoxide gobledyguk. So here's my thought- chrome? A baron in chrome is like 9 bucks. And they sell the navigator in chrome as well. I read that chrome is "very durable." Then there's the chrome sierra/wall st II. Clear something up for me- is there a difference in the length of the wood in the Sierra vs. Wall St. II? I've been told the Sierra is like 2 1/4" and woodcraft's website says the WSII requires a 3 1/8" blank. So what's up? I'd like to get two pens from one blank, of course, to save money, but if there's like 3/4" extra wood on the WSII, that makes it more appealing, IMHO, and might be worth the cost of the extra wood. Please advise. I do like the fact that I can add the chrome Sierra click version pen to my repetoire without adding another set of bushings/bits, whereas the only click versions of the WSII are the much more expensive finishes.

Also, anyone else have trouble navigating Arizona Silhouette's website? I'd like to order there I think, unless I go with Woodcraft...but it takes me like ten minutes to find anything!

I know that's a ton of questions, but I know you guys are good people and love to help. Thanks everyone for your advice, and getting me off to a good start.

woody350ep

brandon, its jason from WN. Someone will definitely straighten you out on the sierra/WSII issue, but I can tell you that AS can be difficult at first, but if you go through it enough times you will pretty much get the hang of where stuff is.....trust me :)

They have weekly specials, and cigar and slimline kits ALWAYS cheap. Also, not to put it over the top or anything, but from what I understand Bill sends a free blank with each order you make. I have made 3 orders, and can attest to that. He sent me Zebrawood, Walnut Burl, and Curly Maple (which I can't wait for)

BTW, I still can't believe you lost power all the way up there.............I just got through a weekend of 11" of rain..........In NORTHERN INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon25

Thanks Jason.
I'm getting used to the site as I visit it more and more. I'll probably end up just going with AS since they dont offer any cheaper click WSII's at woodcraft.

Brandon25

Bump. I'm making my first order from Arizona Silhouette tomorrow.
Can anyone just answer if chrome finish is sufficiently durable for, say, a $40 pen? I really dont want to spend 2 or 3 times as much just for a better finish.

Top Bottom