New zero-tolerance bushings for Emporer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I received a set of the new bushings for the Emporer pen over the weekend. In his letter, Nils explained that these had been locally made and that their tolerance was so tight that even a small amount of CA glue in a tube would not allow the bushings to fit into the tubes. He also asked for an opinion on what pen makers want in terms of tolerance in bushings.

Here's my experience and thoughts. First, the bushings are darned tight. They do not simply slide in, but must be gently pushed in. On one end of one tube, I had to chalmfer the end to get the bushing to seat (tube problem, not a bushing problem). These are undoubtedly the best fitting bushings I've ever gotten from CS USA. They may not be literally zero-tolerance, but if not they are darned close! I also mic'd the outside of the bushings to the metal fittings. Tolerance was less than or equal to .0005" on the kits I tested. From my perspective, this is where the tolerances should be. Mind you, there is not much room for error, but at this price you should be well-practiced and paying attention to your turning.

CS USA and Nils, you have done a fine job in fixing this small but important area. Consistent responsiveness to the needs of the customer are what keeps you (along with our other suppliers) among the best in any idustry.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nilsatcraft

Thanks very much for the kinds words, Lou. By way of update, we've received some feedback on these tighter fitting Emperor Bushings and some say they are a bit too tight. We've tried to find middle ground by ordering in new bushings that are not as loose as the original bushings but not as tight as this trial batch. We feel that this will be the best solution to please the greatest number of people. We are taking a closer look at the bushings we send out in order to ensure proper tolerances on all bushings. As always, we guarantee your satisfaction, so please give us a call with any questions or problems. Thanks again!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nils,

I have not tried the bushings in question, so my remarks must be generalities.

KEEP THEM TIGHT!!! If I can't live with the tolerance, I own a lathe!!!!!

Sandpaper will take a little off, it is much more precise than adding beer cans!

THANK-YOU! (and any time you'd like to send me a set, I would be grateful-bought the original set with Anthony, so I am not listed in your database as having the Emporer)

PenWorks

I have sampled the new bushings, they are PERFECT ! Nice snug fit. Kudos to CSUSA
for there attention to detail and their customers requests. [:)]

LanceD

I must also agree with the others about the fit on the new bushings. Perfect. I have't been a CSUSA customer for very long but the customer service is outstanding. Thank you

Dario

These bushings better live to its reputation...it can potentially be the most expensive FREE bushing in my life [:D][}:)].

Then again, I hardly get anything free LOL

Thanks Nils!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />I would like to see an illustration or picture of these. Bushings that fit IN the tubes is something I am not familiar with.

The kits need different drill bits, Frank-don't worry about them!!![}:)][}:)][}:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nils,

I got my bushings today, thank you for your efforts in obtaining them and getting them out. I tried the bushings in a set of tubes, and they are fantastic! I have a nice piece of BB's gold desert ironwood gluing to turn tomorrow with the new bushings. The perfect fit as compared to the loose fit of my first set of bushings is awesome.

Once again, thank you for all you do for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom