New Wrinkle Slimline Info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I recently ordered some of the new threaded slimlines from Smitty. I really like the concept, but I have run into an issue. The brass tube is thicker than a standard 7mm tube, so the 7mm drill bit is too small. Also a 5/16th is too big. And a N bit is just a hair too small. So I don't have a bit that will work. The tube measures 7.75mm, so I'll probably order a bit from Victor Machinery. But I'll probably wait till I have something else to order since they have a $25 minimum.

This is in no way a complaint directed toward Smitty. He's stated on several occasions that he doesn't make many pens, and he's never carried slimlines. I've always been happy with his kits, and this won't stop me from buying in the future. It's just some information for those who bought these kits. I'm sure that once I have the proper bit I'll like these kits. I just don't get to play with these this weekend.:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I recently ordered some of the new threaded slimlines from Smitty. I really like the concept, but I have run into an issue. The brass tube is thicker than a standard 7mm tube, so the 7mm drill bit is too small. Also a 5/16th is too big. And a N bit is just a hair too small. So I don't have a bit that will work. The tube measures 7.75mm, so I'll probably order a bit from Victor Machinery. But I'll probably wait till I have something else to order since they have a $25 minimum.

This is in no way a complaint directed toward Smitty. He's stated on several occasions that he doesn't make many pens, and he's never carried slimlines. I've always been happy with his kits, and this won't stop me from buying in the future. It's just some information for those who bought these kits. I'm sure that once I have the proper bit I'll like these kits. I just don't get to play with these this weekend.:frown:
Never say Never. He used to carry slimlines but not anymore.

Lin.

Quality Pen

Ok thank you for the feedback.

Now, please, bear with me, I don't mean to derail this thread... I am a newbie, forgive my ignorance!...

With my preamble out of the way, why would a pen parts seller decide to not carry slimlines?

Last edited:

lorbay

Now, please, bear with me, I don't mean to derail this thread... I am a newbie, forgive my ignorance!...

With my preamble out of the way, why wouldn't a pen parts seller decide to not carry slimlines?

Smitty might jump in here but they are pretty inexpensive and not everybody wants to turn them once they get into other pens, and just about every pen dealer carries them.
Lin

Ed McDonnell

Hi Bob - You say your tube diameter is 7.75mm. That's .3051"

A 7.8mm drill bit is .3071". That doesn't leave much room for glue and paint. If the fittings are the same size as standard slims (~0.33") you will probably need paint (given the diameter of the hole).

A 7.9mm drill bit is .3110". No problem with room for glue and paint. If this is the size you are thinking about using, a 5/16 drill bit is .3125". That's only .0015" larger than the 7.9mm. If you are willing to go to 7.9mm, are you sure that the 5/16" won't work?

In any case, you can find 7.8 or 7.9 drills available on ebay with free shipping for about $5. They will be coming out of china and fine for wood and resins (if you sharpen them).

Ed

plantman

I like to keep my space between tube and blank as small as possible, so I use my calipers to measure the size of the tube and check the drill index chart to find the nearest bit that is slightly over this number. If, after I drill the blank and run the bit several times in and out, I check to see if the fit is to tight. You don't want to starve the joint by pushing all the glue out. If it is to tight, I will place the blank in a vice horizontaly and use a round or rat tail file to widen the opening until I have a nice slip fit. You could also use an adjustable reamer if you can set it to the correct size you need. Sandpaper on a dowel will also work along with mini diamond files.

The Slimlines and Trimlines are great kits for someone just getting into the hobby!!! They are easy to turn, tube lenghts are the same, and inexpensive. After you have improved your skills a little they become less challinging and you move unto something a little more difficult, and so on up the pen scale ladder. Once you have made most of the kits out there you start looking to make custom changes to the kits such as segmenting or casting your own blanks in order to put your twist on them. Next step, kitless pens, closed end pens, and pens that look like art or shulpture and are more for display than daily use. Now you go back to the beginning, the lowly slim line pen. When I design something new, I will use a slimline as my base to work out my designs and any problems thet may come up. This way I will not have to use expensive fittings or materials to work out my pen. If I screw up, I have only lost $3. I aso like to take Slimlines and turn them into something that people have to ask what it is. Jim S

Dale Allen

I'm guessing that the larger OD is so the internal threads of the tube have more thickness.
You could try an 'N' which is which is .3020" and sand it out. There may also be enough varience when drilling that the hole comes out slightly large, but a good setup will not do that. I try to keep .002" or more for the glue.

davidbr

I found the same problem but I think we were warned of things like that. I do like the concept and will not hesitate in ordering from Smitty again. Hope he will carry more of them but seems that he will not for the time anyway.

BSea

Never say Never. He used to carry slimlines but not anymore.
Lin.
Yes you're right. i should have just said he doesn't carry them.:redface:

With my preamble out of the way, why would a pen parts seller decide to not carry slimlines?
Nobody carries every style. Maybe the profit margin isn't what he wants to bother with. If he sees this thread, maybe he'll let us know.

Hi Bob - You say your tube diameter is 7.75mm. That's .3051"

A 7.8mm drill bit is .3071". That doesn't leave much room for glue and paint. If the fittings are the same size as standard slims (~0.33") you will probably need paint (given the diameter of the hole).

A 7.9mm drill bit is .3110". No problem with room for glue and paint. If this is the size you are thinking about using, a 5/16 drill bit is .3125". That's only .0015" larger than the 7.9mm. If you are willing to go to 7.9mm, are you sure that the 5/16" won't work?

In any case, you can find 7.8 or 7.9 drills available on ebay with free shipping for about $5. They will be coming out of china and fine for wood and resins (if you sharpen them).

Ed
Normally I drill on the lathe, but for testing, I used my drill press. Maybe I had to much runout using the 5/16. I may try it on my lathe tomorrow. If it's ok, I'll post again. But this bit came in a Harbor freight set. I've found a few that didn't run true.

I'm guessing that the larger OD is so the internal threads of the tube have more thickness.
You could try an 'N' which is which is .3020" and sand it out. There may also be enough varience when drilling that the hole comes out slightly large, but a good setup will not do that. I try to keep .002" or more for the glue.
You're exactly right about the thickness of the tube. You can tell that they are heavier.

Ed McDonnell

Hi Bob - Maybe your N drill on the drill press would have a lot of runout and give you an oversized hole that would work just right. :biggrin:

Ed

BSea

Hi Bob - Maybe your N drill on the drill press would have a lot of runout and give you an oversized hole that would work just right. :biggrin:

Ed
i tried that too. I do think sanding it out might work. I'll probably just use a regular slimline for the blanks i already drilled with a 7 mm bit. I'll experiment & report back if i get something that works.

low_48

Do you have a finished inventory of every pen kit available? Same reason a dealer may not carry every kit, just a business decision.

Jim Burr

Banned
Remember that Smitty is doing some hospital time with his bride, he may not just right on a response with that on his mind.

Cmiles1985

So, I finally broke into my package of threaded slimline a last night and prepped 7 kits for turning. I drilled my wood blanks with 5/16 and have a snug fit with the epoxy. That bit made for a really tight fit on the acrylic blanks, so I drilled them with 21/64" and had success! I have not yet turned the pens, but I'm headed to the garage now!

Top Bottom