New Wood Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodbutcher

Last night at my local woodturners group our guest speakers were from Delta. They demonstrated a new prototype lathe. It is based on the current Midi but has a 12" swing and I believe a 16" maximum turning length. Extensions will be available as well as a lathe stand. It will be a 3 pulley variable speed system similar to the Jet Mini. The motor will be 3/4 HP w/ reverse rotation and 24 point indexing capability. While still in early development it would seem this may be a good starter lathe that will have some of the larger lathe options and accessories. I was very impressed with the torque of this lathe. It will also have a 5 or 6 rib drive belt. I strongly urged them to put a decent live center on this unit as well as 100-200 rpm on the low speed setting. If Delta gets this right [?] this should be a nice unit.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Jim for posting this. It is the kind of lathe that I will be looking for when I retire in 4 years. There will probably be more available then. If it is less than $500, I might be tempted to buy it to use for the times that I am back in the States for a month or so each year.

I do want total variable speed between the ranges of 500 rpm to 2500 rpm, my most used ranges. I hate changing belts.
I do want indexing.
I would like reversing.
I have a 12 in Rikon and like sizing.

Randy_

Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />Last night at my local woodturners group our guest speakers were from Delta. They demonstrated a new prototype lathe. It is based on the current Midi but has a 12" swing and I believe a 16" maximum turning length. Extensions will be available as well as a lathe stand. It will be a 3 pulley variable speed system similar to the Jet Mini. The motor will be 3/4 HP w/ reverse rotation and 24 point indexing capability. While still in early development it would seem this may be a good starter lathe that will have some of the larger lathe options and accessories. I was very impressed with the torque of this lathe. It will also have a 5 or 6 rib drive belt. I strongly urged them to put a decent live center on this unit as well as 100-200 rpm on the low speed setting. If Delta gets this right [?] this should be a nice unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom