new wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Perl

I have a question for anyone that can help me regarding curing some wood for a pen. About a year ago a poplar tree got hit by lightening and shortly there after we cut it down. Recently I split some of this wood and found an interesting black stripe down a portion of the wood, along with the usual green and white that is more normal in poplar. What type of preparatioin should I take to prepare this wood for turning? Or can it be done at all?

I'm not sure how long poplar takes to dry but if it is already dry, you can just cut it into pen blanks and make a pen out of it. If it stil has moisture in it I would cover the ends in some kind of sealer and let it dry. Some places sell moisture meters if you are interested in getting one.

tim self

You can cut it into oversized pen blanks. Then using the microwave, heat on high for 20-30 seconds. Let the wood cool and repeat the process until the locked in moisture is released. You will be able to tell simply by lack of "steam" leaving the blanks. Then I let sit for couple of days and ready to turn. You may also try boiling or a dehydrater(?) as well.

ctubbs

The above is good advice. My favorite method keeps the wood out of the kitchen, however. I too, cut oversize blanks. I then stack them in a small table top grill that has a 100 watt bulb in the bottom. The blanks are stacked on the grill and spaced apart to allow air movement. If necessary they are cross stacked. I weigh a few blanks and mark their weight on the surface. I keep a thermometer inserted through the top and watch it. The temp is controlled by adjusting the vent in the top. When the weight of the blanks does not change for two days, they are dry. I try to hold the temp below 150F, usually around 125 - 135. YMMV
Charles

Top Bottom