New turning setup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hillikus

Hello all. Been browsing the forums for a while now and have been working on gathering the money required to start turning pens. I've decided on a Jet 1014VS for the lathe but am not entirely sure on what else I will need. I have a budget of about $600 to spend for everything including the lathe. I have a saw and that is it. I'm asking you guys what all you would suggest to start with. I know I can use the lathe to drill but wanted to know if that is advised. So basically I just wanted to know what you guys would suggest for tools, mandrels, chucks and everything. Thanks a ton and great forum here. Can't wait until I can start pitching in and contributing some knowledge. Thanks again.

-Hans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Drilling on the lathe is great as long as you have the means to hold the pen blank. You will need a chuck for the drill bits and here is one e-bay source: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-8-KEYLESS-DRILL-CHUCK-MORSE-TAPER-2-SHANK-NEW_W0QQitemZ140173851910QQihZ004QQcategoryZ25292QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The price is really good too.

If you go to Woodcraft to get your start-up pen kits be sure to ask what bushings you need for each model of pen kit you get. I recommend that you get one mandrel for each kit and keep the bushings on their own mandrel. That way they don't get mixed up with all the others and you know exactly where they are at all times.

Tools- well that depends on you and your fortune. I like the longer handled tools as they are far more stable than any of the short thingies. By all means do not get a miniature set as you will be going right back and getting the big tools asap. Just buy the best that you can afford and you will not be disappointed early on. Remember too that you need a way to keep these tools sharp and the sharper the better.

Make sure you have very adequate lighting on your work surfaces. Look through the above e-bay vendors list of "Other Items". He offers a nice adjustable Halogen light fixture for around $40.00. Get that and the drill chuck at the same time.

Go to Woodcraft and stand at their display lathe. Get a couple of tools off the rack and handle them as though you were actually turning. That way you can get a 'feel' for what sized tools you like. IF you are not already a turner, then by all means take a class and ask 1000's of questions here on the Forum and at Woodcraft, etc. [:D]

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I have recently started drilling on my lathe and if I had it to do over I would have used the money I spent on my drill press to get a good scroll chuck for holding the blanks on my lathe. Plus you can use the chuck making other things on your lathe as well. Right now you can get the PSI Barracuda CSC2000C chuck on Amazon for $117 with free shipping.

Rmartin

I think your lathe choice is a good one. You can easily spend more on the 'other' stuff. A drill of some kind is a must have. Some drill on the lathe, but I prefer a drill press. But, until you have the money, it's possible to clamp a piece of wood to a table and use a hand drill.

I would buy some slimline kits and 3 sets of bushings. The bushings can be used as spacers for other pen kits. A mandrel which fits your lathe is a must. There are two size mandrels, buy the "A" mandrel. You will also need the proper size drill bit for the kit you buy. Slimlines use a 7mm.

Some wood to turn is a must. Any wood laying around will work. I would recommend ordering some Bethlehem olivewood. It turns easily, smells great while turning, and is a very good seller.

Search the site for many many threads with starter suggestions.

Rmartin

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If you have a Harbor Fright nearby, watch the adds for the drill bit sets they have on sale. Get the 115 piece set when its on sale for less than $50. As you make more pen styles you will need a wide variety of oddball diameters. Put some thought into a sharpening system. A dull lathe tool will get you into all kinds of trouble. Also I don't see a pen mill listed. You'll need one of those for about $20. Watch out for the sales and you should be able to get a good start for your budget. Then in a few months you can be broke like the rest of us.

stevers

You have a saw,
drill bits,
drill press or drill on the lathe,
CA glue,
barrel trimmer,
turning tools (as good as you can afford),
sand paper,
finish of some kind,
these are just a few I could think of off hand.

Daniel

A friend of mine started turning pens a while back. and it cost him $600 to get started.
He bought a Small but brand new lathe and turning tool set. (He shopped hard for good prices though) bought the drill bits he needed for the half dozen pen kits he was interested in. We found him a garage sale band saw for around 50 bucks or so. and the rest went into finish material glue and the extras.
he also bought a couple of nice boards from a local woodcrafting shop and traded blanks for kits.
he did already have an old drill press. And i am in agreement with other comments here. put you money in a good chuck and drill on the lathe. you won't be sorry you got a chuck and it is getting more use out of your lathe while starting up. this also means you need the drill chuck for the tail stock. I think you can get good ones for around 25 dollars but it has been a while since i have looked at them.
the harbor freight 115 piece titanium bit set is the best way I know to get most of the bits you will ever need. anything larger than 1/2 inch you will still have to buy as individual bits though.
A way to sharpen your turning tools and bits cannot be over stated. turning tools will need to be sharpened after making your first pen. if not right out of the box. even an oil stone will work but you must have some way to keep them sharp.
but for completness here is the list of tools i use in the order i use them in making a pen.

Small 6 inch metal ruler
pencil
Square
band saw
drill press and drill bit
sandpaper to rough brass tube
Glue (gorilla glue or CA are two favorites) to glue tubes in blank.
barrel trimmer or end mill ( some use these bay hand, others in an electric hand held drill I use my drill press again.
Lathe
pen mandrel (7mm or A mandrel works for more kits)
bushings for the pen you are making.
turning tools. 1/2 inch spindle gauge thin parting tool are a must, others are nice and make the job easier but you can get the job done with just these two.
sharpening machine and jigs for my turning tools.
sand paper, 150,200,300, and 400 grit.
CA for a finish
micro mesh, full set of all nine grits
friction polish
half ton press to assemble the pen. (You don't need a half tone of pressure but press needs to be large enough for pen to fit in it, wish I had spent 10 bucks more for one ton press)
trade secret for wood to protect the shine I worked so hard on.
and last but not least a pen box to keep it looking good in.

That is what I use on any pen. there are things I do at times that require more than this list.
you don't need all the tools I have listed but all the jobs need to be done.
good luck and spending time shopping for deals is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom