New turner question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tony0778

I just purchased a Jet 1014VS and am interested in penturning and especially like the larger diameter pens. Should I start out on a simpler design such as the slim line? It appears that the overall process is the same for the majority of pens. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Great site!

Tony in SC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

almer

Most people start with slimline and reasonable priced blanks,then european and xl cigar and progress fr there,also depends on your turning skill level.Reading these forums is very helpfull.Turning pens is very addictive and rewarding

jcollazo

Starting off with less expensive kits (like the slimline) allow you to go through the process and work on your finishing technique before going on to more expensive kits and blanks. If you have the bucks, you could start with a Lotus or Emperor but that's an expensive way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

ldb2000

welcome to the vortex of pen turning.
most people start out with slimlines because they are easy and cheap but they are also very versitile and can be modified to many different designs and will allow you to be very creative check out some of the posts about modified slimlines and you will be amazed at what you can make with them

its_virgil

Welcome. Most do start out with the slimline, but I think some of the larger pens are easier to turn than the smaller pens. If you like the larger pens, then go for it. The gent, Statesman, jr versions, baron, sedona, and churchill are not difficult to make. We look forward to seeing what you decide. BTW, we like pictures!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

winpooh498

Welcome to the group! I say that ya should turn what ever turns your fancy. :D I would recommend slimlines, to start and only because of the price. You could do a bigger pen and buy extra tubes then you can make all kinds of different outfits for it. Good luck on what ever you decide.

IPD_Mrs

As you have heard the reasons for starting with the slimlines already - I'll toss in my 2 cents and suggest starting with the cigar or Euro. Yes the slimlines can be modified and when you feel you have progressed to that stage then they are by all means a great way to work on modifications and practice techniques. However, I find that working a slimline b2b is more difficult than working the Euro or Cigar the same way. If you are learning to turn for the first time - I personally feel you do need to learn to do some b2b turning. I think it is important to get a feel for getting the wood turned to the bushings so that when you give the next pen shape you can get the points at the bushings just right. We all know we see so many pens that look fantastic - right down to the bushings and then they give up the ghost.

Cigar kits can be purchased for a song anymore and they aren't really to difficult as I recall ..... LOL - I haven't been able to touch the lathe in a while - Mr. has kept me busy on many other projects [:p]

Mrs

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tony,

Wanna stay cheap and still not be limited to the slimline?

The comfort pen - throw away the rubber, allows you to turn bushing to bushing (B2B), with a larger center bushing there is more wood left and the pen is not as likely to split. Still need to put CA on the end after you "face" the end, it will reinforce your blank, minimizing your chances of a "blowout".

Don't think much of the comfort pen? Then, the cigar (fat boy, big ben) is also EASY to turn, no tenons required, simple stuff. And, when you are done, you have a salable weapon (I sell a lot of them, but they are heavy).

Good luck and HAVE FUN whatever you do.

Consider getting kits from www.woodnwhimsies - they are very affordable - I suggest rhodium or chrome for durabiltiy.

HOpe this helps.

rhahnfl

Not to sound like a broken record however, consider the cost of the kits you want to do. You will more than likely mess a few up as we all do. The less it costs the more you'll want to continue with it. Find the ones that make you happy and go for it. Just hope you've got deep pockets. Unlike other addictions the first ones usually not free!! ;):D This really gets addictive...trust me.:D:D BTW welcome!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
To me, while the slim lines are the cheapest, they are hard to master. Making straight cuts from bushing to bushing are more difficult than it would seem for most people. Good practice though.

IMO, the easiest are the Sierras and Carbara/Polaris.

Russianwolf

if cost is a factor, you can get Chrome Cigar kits from woodpenpro for less than $2/each (almost the same price as the cheaper slimlines). They are seconds but he provides the extra pieces so they work fine.

I found the Cigars much easier to turn when I started. It was also my daily writer for a long time and is still one of my favorite kits.

R2

Welcome to the frustration tony. My advice is to start on the less expensive slimlines. You can do plenty of experimenting with design etc and sharpen you turning skills at the same time. Tou can als get a variety of cheaper blanks. That way you will quickly find how differently different timbers behave. All the best.:)[:p]

fiferb

A lot of advice already given so I don't have much to add. I just wanted to say hello since I noticed you were in South Carolina, too.

tony0778

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input! What a great site this is. I'll be back when I have started penturning and "hopefully" have photos of a pen that I am willing to share!:D

Jeff_Myroup

Hi Tony,
If you have never turned before, I would recommend getting some scrap 2x4, make some square spindle stock and practice between centers. This way you will get a feel for the tools and what speeds work best. If you have a local wood craft you can get some good lessons there. Being that I am self taught, I wish I had been able to take a few leasons in the begining. I think this creates a better learning curve. You need to develop a light touch working with pens. I found this out the hard way, and ruined a couple of blanks. You can also contact the AAW to see if they have a local turning club. They have mentors that can teach you alot.

Jeff

tony0778

Originally posted by Jeff_Myroup

Hi Tony,
If you have never turned before, I would recommend getting some scrap 2x4, make some square spindle stock and practice between centers. This way you will get a feel for the tools and what speeds work best. If you have a local wood craft you can get some good lessons there. Being that I am self taught, I wish I had been able to take a few leasons in the begining. I think this creates a better learning curve. You need to develop a light touch working with pens. I found this out the hard way, and ruined a couple of blanks. You can also contact the AAW to see if they have a local turning club. They have mentors that can teach you alot.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the advice. Actually, I've been practicing this week on a 2.5" x 12" chuck of maple and have "had a ball"! Great fun. I quickly learned the feel of a "catch" and what caused it. Your correct regarding a light touch....sharp chisels will really make the stock disappear.

Have a good weekend.

Top Bottom