New Turner/Member Acrylic Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TNHagies

Good morning everyone!

New member here and a newbie to turning as well. So far I've turned about 8-10 pens in various types of wood and even got my wife to turn one as well.

Acrylic has peaked my interest and I'm curious if anyone has any things to look for or to be aware of when turning Acrylic vs. wood.

Thanks in advance,
TNHagies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site Scott

There are many differences between woods and acrylics and between different woods and also between different acrylics. There are many threads on this subject that you find interesting reading and here are a few. The one thing that always stands out is sharp tools is a must and good gluing of the tubes. Plus if using opaque or transparent acrylics will require the need to reverse paint the inside of the blank to prevent tubes from showing through. That is another part of learning to work with acrylics. As I mentioned not all acrylics react the same to heat and turning so much care is needed in drilling and turning to prevent cracks. heat is always your enemy in pen turning.

Finishing acrylic is different than woods also so that is another area you need to concentrate when working with acrylics. All acrylics will take a good shine so that is a plus. Casting your own acrylics is another area that can be explored and you can have fun with. there are different resins that can be used and they all react differently also so that is more reading you can do and learn about. Good luck and welcome to the fun world of pen making.

www.penturners.org/forum/f14/has-anyone-done-comparison-acrylics-144338/

www.penturners.org/forum/f14/painting-vs-reverse-painting-143541/

www.penturners.org/forum/f14/acrylester-acrylic-rhino-139243/

www.penturners.org/forum/f56/tru-stone-what-do-i-need-know-138830/

www.penturners.org/forum/f14/what-glues-use-tubes-wood-acrylic-pens-136273/

mecompco

John has pretty much covered it. I'd avoid Inlace Acrylester until you've got some experience. Drill it slow, paint the inside of the blank (I do the tube as well), make sure you've got full glue coverage, spin them fast and use sharp tools. Use light cuts (especially 'til they are round and when you get close to final dimension. If you get nervous, you can always switch to paper at the end.

What's great about acrylics is you don't have to mess with any finish--just sand and polish. Have fun!

Regards,
Michael

campzeke

Scott, Scott, Scott....

You had to do it didn't you..... You had to open Pandora's Box and ask that question. What now?r

First of all, Welcome to the IAP. Spend some time looking around this site and you will find answers to many of your questions and more. John and Michael have pointed you in the right direction on acrylics. As Michael said I would suggest you avoid Inlace and most PR or Polyester Resin blanks until you have a few acrylics under your belt. Acrylics are fairly easy and produce some great results once you figure it out. Go slow and take it easy and you will do fine.

Good luck and be sure to post photos ... especially if you are having a problem. You will get a lot of help along the way here.

TNHagies

Thank you to everyone. I will start digging around and thanks for the links as well. That'll get me started and exactly what I was looking for. I'm really new to all of this so I'm hoping to also connect with someone at my local Woodcraft store and see if I can get some guidance as well.

Thanks again and I look forward to all the site has to offer!

TNHagies

Scott, Scott, Scott....

You had to do it didn't you..... You had to open Pandora's Box and ask that question. What now?r

First of all, Welcome to the IAP. Spend some time looking around this site and you will find answers to many of your questions and more. John and Michael have pointed you in the right direction on acrylics. As Michael said I would suggest you avoid Inlace and most PR or Polyester Resin blanks until you have a few acrylics under your belt. Acrylics are fairly easy and produce some great results once you figure it out. Go slow and take it easy and you will do fine.

Good luck and be sure to post photos ... especially if you are having a problem. You will get a lot of help along the way here.

Uh oh! Is that like a Ford vs. Chevy, Fixed vs. Mechanical Broadhead, Nikon vs. Canon thing? Well, I'm always good for jumping head first into controversy. :biggrin:

Curly

Welcome to the group. I'll add one thing to what has been said. Buy the cheap blanks to start with, not necessarily ugly but inexpensive common ones to play with. If you blow a few then it isn't so disappointing as when it is a really speedy or hard to replace blank. Mostly enjoy yourself.

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Scott !!!

For acrylic starters, I would recommend Alumilite blanks. . They are more expensive, and they don't shine up quite as well as the harder-to-machine acrylics, but they are just so nice to work with. . Look for Lava Pearl, Lava Flow, and Lava Explosion on your favorite vendor's website.

TNHagies

Welcome from Nashville. Where abouts in Tennessee are you?

Chattanooga. I've seen quite a few folks from TN on here in just my short time.

Welcome to the group. I'll add one thing to what has been said. Buy the cheap blanks to start with, not necessarily ugly but inexpensive common ones to play with. If you blow a few then it isn't so disappointing as when it is a really speedy or hard to replace blank. Mostly enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the note. That's my plan is to find that balance of something that won't blow up on me, but doesn't cost and arm and a leg. I may pick up one or two this weekend to try.

Top Bottom