New Turner Helper Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Ok here is an idea I would like to see some folks expand on and see if we can't get something off the ground.

Just like when we started out, we have many folks that come to IAP that have yet to turn their first pen, or did one or two pens in a class. The cost can be staggering and many of us started with cheap items and upgraded to higher quality items as we progressed in our turnings. If you are like me, you have some parts and tools laying around doing nothing. What about having someone to whom we can send all of our items that we no longer use (a central collection person.) They in turn make little helper bags to send out to "Newbies" to help get them started.

It is late and a real work day tomorrow, but I wanted to get this idea started.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

Why not just encourage the posting of unused tools in the classified section? There is no guarantee that the newbie will stick with pen turning.

Firefyter-emt

I personaly think the way the "system" works as it is is not broken. Those who have some extra will jump right in and lend a hand when they can and if they feel they should. The hard part is tracking the stuff and what happens if ways part ect ect...

I know what you are thinking and it's not a bad idea, just hard to run and not quite needed to this point. That is one of the things I like the best about this place, people helping people becasue they want to. To put one person in charge is like having the goverment run something. ;)

jwoodwright

This idea is great and several times it has been raised. Always a down side. I propose instead a library article listing all required items. Not just a grocery list, but something that has been personilized with knowledge and experience.

Maybe start as a thread, where members can add from their knowledge and experience. This would be a powerful tool to jump start pen turning.

medemt

I like the idea about a list. I am a newbie and am not looking for a hand out, but it is difficult to know what to purchase and more importantly, what not to.

I get many catalogs from vendors and spend a lot of time looking at websites. The reason I like this site is because I feel like information born from experience, is worth it's weight in gold.

Already today I found a great site for military clips that may have taken me hours to look myself.

I amazes me to see the generosity of the people on this site. It's good to know there are still good people in this world ready to share rather than be selfish.

Dan

drayman

mike, if a person has for example 3 gouges they do not use anymore, why not place an ad in the indavidual classifieds. say shipping $6.00 + $5.00 goes to iap,

1 you help iap
2 you get rid of unwanted tools
3 a newbie gets a bargain
and 4 you get the pleasure of helping out.
just my thought;)

Top Bottom