new tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebel1

I got my new blank drilling chuck today from PSI. Also got a few of the Gorilla Grind drill bits, They seem to work great . Tried it out on wood and acrylic blanks. The front and back of the blank was smooth and the tube was a perfect fit. Very happy with my purchase.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just love drilling on my lathe. I used to have a shopsmith and loved it also and used the horizontal boring for drilling. Once I got my nova chuck that is the easiest way to drill by far. I was able to bring it right over to my Nova lathe and have never been happier. I am sure you are now converted as was I from advise from this forum.

TDicaprio

I got my new blank drilling chuck today from PSI. Also got a few of the Gorilla Grind drill bits, They seem to work great . Tried it out on wood and acrylic blanks. The front and back of the blank was smooth and the tube was a perfect fit. Very happy with my purchase.:)
Great to hear this Rebel1. I am planning on buying the blank chuck this weekend. It is uniqe to PSI and looks easy to use. I am having a hard time drilling large diamiter holes with a press and assume this chuck will help.

redbulldog

Personally speaking, IDO NOT like drilling blanks on the lathe! I also have the PSI chuck, I despise it!
I am old school and love my shopsmith that is set up for drilling, my blanks are better now than with drilling on the lathe.
I still say whatever works good for you, I will NOT try to convince anyone to change, for me I use what works for me, I will at least try.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Boz

I too have the PSI chuck and it is great. The only bad thing was when I first got it I was holding the lock ring in one hand and turning the blades to open the chuck up to put in a blank. Well I wasn't thinking and as the they opened up one came around and bit my thumb. Now I use one of the tommy bars to hold the ring.

TDicaprio

Personally speaking, IDO NOT like drilling blanks on the lathe! I also have the PSDI chuck, I despise it!
I am old school and love my shopsmith that is set up for drilling, my blanks are better now than with drilling on the lathe.
I still say whatever works good for you, I will NOT try to convince anyone to change, for me I use what works for me, I will at least try.
Thanks for listening.
What type of chuck do you use to hold the blank? I like the concept of the PSI chuck for blanks but that is all it can be used for. That has been my only hesitation, other than the $80 price.

redbulldog

I have the PSI dedicated chuck, the only good thing for me is that it drills a straight hole, other than that it is NOT for me. I can drill using the shopsmith setup quicker and better than using the PSI chuck. I tried drill on the shopsmith with a "Stronghold", did not like that either.
I use the Huffman drilling fixture, and LOVE it.
I also bought some drills that are more expensive than what some of you will pay, again that is what is what I want to do. I use very little from HF.

mwhatch

I was struggling with a 4 jaw chuck and most of the time I could get a good hole, but it seem like it took to much time to get it set right. Then I was afraid of damageing acrylic blanks. I do not have a drill press so I got the PSI blank chuck. I love it, so quick and accurate. I will not do it any other way for now.

Bayward

What does the PSI blank chuck do that a four jaw chuck fitted with spigot jaws will not do ?

I am looking at the PSI blank chuck. I already own a Nova G3 chuck and occasionally use the spigot jaws to drill blanks on the lathe. Would I benefit from buying the PSI chuck ?

Bob

Dan Masshardt

I use pin jaws on my nova g3 to drill blanks. It works well.

I'd say or advantage might be a seperate chuck altogether reasonably priced.

It's not that bad, but I don't enjoy changing check jaws - so I tend to drill a bunch of blanks at once.

dartman

I too have the PSI blank chuck.After two years the jaws are splayed out.Sort of like a "v".Tight at the chuck end but a little loose on the other end.It was great when I got it but now not so much.I know it was not from over tightening because I barely snug it up.

Bayward

It's not that bad, but I don't enjoy changing check jaws - so I tend to drill a bunch of blanks at once.

Not only do I not enjoy changing jaws, I hate it. That is why I do not use the lathe to drill pen blanks all that often. I seldom use the pin or spigot jaws and it seems they are never on the chuck when I do a pen. If the blank is thick enough I just drill it on the drill press and hope I do not get too close to an edge. If it is a high dollar or otherwise prized blank I change jaws and use the lathe.

That is why I was looking at the PSI dedicated chuck. For me it would be just a little more expensive to get a second G3 chuck and leave the pin jaws on the chuck. Nova occasionally has a refurbished G3 or two and they are not too far from where I work. So I could pick up the chuck and save shipping.

Bob

Dan Masshardt

If I see a good enough deal on a second nova chuck body - sipernova, g3 or even midi, I will pick it up.

Changing chucks is much easier than changing jaws.

Top Bottom