new tool?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodwood

It's about time for someone with tool brains to devise a tool to take apart the pens when something goes less than perfect. I use a long set of pin punches and small cucobolo bushings but there has to be a better way. I know PSI who have been great in my direction but their take apart tool seems to be little more than the pin punches.
Remember the mechanism is already history in most cases so it's the shiny stuff that's important. Thanks Harry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

NOW, don't laught at this, please....

A tool that works like a miniature air hammer would push out the parts rather easily.

NOW, DON'T LAUGH, OK ?? [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
WHich set of compnents are you trying to dismantle?
In other words what pen style?
Normally punches bolts or thin rods are all that is needed.
What tends to be a problem is the decorative CB that is either glued onto the barrel or "pressed" on the tube after the barrel has been parted off.
Waving a wand over the mistake and magic words would be better sill.
[:D]

Dario

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />eagle,

Just don't make mistakes, I never do!!!

Bless me father, that's 2 whoppers today

You know that saying that is like inviting Murphy over...RIGHT? [;)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dario and Eagle,
You both missed the beige type invented by that great, creative mind UH, UH, Well, some great, creative mind with a big MPG.

GOTCHA!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Dario

<br />Dario and Eagle,
You both missed the beige type invented by that great, creative mind UH, UH, Well, some great, creative mind with a big MPG.

LOL...GOTCHA. Man you will have lots of penance to give soon.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />Dario and Eagle,

ed4copies[/i]
<br />eagle,

Just don't make mistakes, I never do!!!

<b>Bless me father, that's 2 whoppers today</b>[/quote]

Oh you mean that type?
I used to do it in white.
You got me.

Bill Collier

How about a piece of steel rod that is just slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the brass tube. I hold the pen with the rod inserted and give the exposed end of the rod a few hits with a hammer. A bit tough on the hand, but it works with no damage to parts. And really whats more important, the pen or your hand?

smoky10

Bill thats what the disassembly tool for 7mm pens are. On bigger pens a lot of us use old bits, turned backwards,and some use punches to take pens apart. Whatever works best for you.

btboone

Bill, that's exactly what I do as well. The sharp metal to metal blow from the rap of a hammer to a steel rod overcomes your hand's higher mass and slower acceleration, so actually works pretty well.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by btboone
<br />Bill, that's exactly what I do as well. The sharp metal to metal blow from the rap of a hammer to a steel rod overcomes your hand's higher mass and slower acceleration, so actually works pretty well.
Huh?
You do mean just give it a good whack, right?
(take jewlery off hand that is holding pen,DAMHIKT)

53Jim

Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned is... I wrap a peice of rubber (inner tube, etc.) around the blank to help keep it from being launched across the shop.

AT LEAST IT WORKS FOR ME most of the time.

cdwilbury

I have used 1/4" and 1/8" steel rod and two steel sleeves that I purchased at Lowe's. This works well on 7mm pens like the PSI Comfort and Slimline pens. The 1/8" rod goes down through the transmission and a couple of hits with a hammer releases the tip. Make sure you hold on tight. The 1/4" rod will pull the cap and clip off. To pull the transmission without damage, take the two 1/4" steel sleeves and glue them into a block of wood one on top of the other. The longest sleeve I could find was 1" so I used two. Set the transmission into the sleeve and put the 1/4" rod into the pen. A couple of hit with the hammer will release the transmission. So far I have taken several pens apart and have not lost a patient. The cost is about half of what the PSI kit costs if you only build one, but you will have enough rod to build serveral kit. I think the sleves were about $1.25 each. Lowe's was the only place I found steel sleeves. A similar process would work for pencils, but I have not been able to locate the right diameter rod for pulling the tips. It would also need to be threaded. I have also used various punches and have the PSI pen and pencil removal tools. They are worth the price if you need to pull them apart for any reason!

its_virgil

This is the set of punches I use from HF. Every size I've ever needed has been in this set. I've made most kits and taken most of them apart at one time or anther and this set has never failed me to have the size I;ve needed. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3577

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom