New Sweet Gum Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glenspens

Jr gent 1 with a Majestic Jr clip and jbswearingen sweet gum blank. And the wife takes another one.......:cool:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 284
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good brownie points when the wife likes one and takes it. Besides what better compliment than to have your wife like something that you made so much that she wanted it. Always makes me feel good that is for sure. Nice pen.

Ed McDonnell

Looks good. Your wife has good taste.

Was that wood dyed? It looks a lot darker and bluer than I would have expected from sweet gum.

Ed

jbswearingen

Glen--

I'm glad you liked the blank! I need to get off my rear and cast some more of them. My fiance, too, has many of my pens, and often gets upset when I tell her she can't have a pen that I've made because it's for a customer...so I end up making another one *just* for her.

This whole *just* for her sure costs a lot...

healeydays

Brad, How much pressure are you putting into the pot when casting these? Ever have any problems with the nooks and crannies of these pods?

jbswearingen

Brad, How much pressure are you putting into the pot when casting these? Ever have any problems with the nooks and crannies of these pods?

I cast them at 60psi in my HF paint pot. Even with that, though, you will sometimes get some tiny voids--there are internal voids that aren't open to the atmosphere, so no resin can get into them. Because of that, I keep CA handy when turning. I also finish them with CA because it's a woody material.

Ed McDonnell

I was always glad to have my wife take my pens. She took them as fast as I could make them. Of course she sold almost all of them and gave me the money. I suppose that could make a difference in how you look at it.:biggrin:

Ed

healeydays

I cast them at 60psi in my HF paint pot. Even with that, though, you will sometimes get some tiny voids--there are internal voids that aren't open to the atmosphere, so no resin can get into them. Because of that, I keep CA handy when turning. I also finish them with CA because it's a woody material.

I wonder if stabilizing the pods first would help with the internal voids? I've been wanting to try that, just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Top Bottom