New solution to coloring inside of blanks!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I was working on a "Worthless Wood" pen this evening and needed to quickly color the inside of the blank since the resin I used was quite translucent. I did not feel like waiting for paint to dry so I came up with a new idea (at lest for me) that works GREAT and is VERY quick!

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Take a large sharpie like the one above, grab the tip with a pair of pliers, and pull it out a ways. Then simply use it to color the inside of the blank. You will have to come from both ends but if you pulled it out enough, you will be able to reach! I did a Sierra and had 100% coverage. Then when done, use an extra CA tip cap to cap it up. It seals tight and hopefully will make it stay fresh for a while.

I did this with a blank that had a large section of resin that was very transparent. I did not color the tube at all and I can not even begin to see the tube! I do suggest using epoxy though since CA will most likely dissolve the sharpie ink a little, messing it up.

Try it, it works great and is very fast and easy!!

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 653
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I've been coloring the epoxy I use to glue the tubes in with good results. So far just dark blue, but I'm going to pick up some different colors this week and try making it white. I have a blue/light blue acrylic I want to use it on.

Skye

I love the way those markers smell. Reminds me of black licorice.

Oh, and good idea!

Good tip. Does anyone know where to get a white sharpie?

They now make silver sharpies that do a good job. Question is, how far can you pull the nib out on them? Also, they're not a fat, flat piece of felt like on those metal markers like Curtis is showing.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I've been coloring the epoxy I use to glue the tubes in with good results. So far just dark blue, but I'm going to pick up some different colors this week and try making it white. I have a blue/light blue acrylic I want to use it on.

Tinting the epoxy is fine if your blank is just a little transluscent. If it is clear or very transluscent, you will be able to see the voids where it is impossible to get 100% coverage of the epoxy inside the blank. You may not mind the voids but to me they look really bad.

workinforwood

You try spray paint? I just blast the paint through the hole and in 20 minutes, I'm good to go. I do still tint the epoxy when I do that..I figure no matter what you do, paint the blank, the tube or both and you can still have a scratch or two inside that the epoxy has a chance to rescue. I can see some advantage to the marker though, as it will go on thinner than paint, but if it's too thin it could be transluscent too. tough call.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
You try spray paint? I just blast the paint through the hole and in 20 minutes, I'm good to go. I do still tint the epoxy when I do that..I figure no matter what you do, paint the blank, the tube or both and you can still have a scratch or two inside that the epoxy has a chance to rescue. I can see some advantage to the marker though, as it will go on thinner than paint, but if it's too thin it could be transluscent too. tough call.

It is not translucent at all. And yes, I have tried paint. I have tried just about everything since I make a bunch of cactus pens and being clear, I HAVE to do something on the inside. My preferred method is to drill bigger, re-cast with resin, and re-drill the right size but the Sharpie method just may change all of this. The advantage of the sharpie over paint is that it dries instant and I do not have to wait for the paint to dry. I also get better coverage than paint. Paint is not even in my bag of tricks any more.

workinforwood

It is not translucent at all. And yes, I have tried paint. I have tried just about everything since I make a bunch of cactus pens and being clear, I HAVE to do something on the inside. My preferred method is to drill bigger, re-cast with resin, and re-drill the right size but the Sharpie method just may change all of this. The advantage of the sharpie over paint is that it dries instant and I do not have to wait for the paint to dry. I also get better coverage than paint. Paint is not even in my bag of tricks any more.

Now that's very interesting, drilling then re-casting. I assume that re-cast is done with a solid color. Very nifty! I'll try the marker idea too. If it's not translucent like you say, it sounds like quite a winner! I find painting inside and painting a tube, you need a sledge hammer to get the tube inside, and if a bit of heat builds up in turning the pen, the tube can let go in all that paint and start spinning inside! Thanks Curtis.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
When I need to color the inside for translucent tubes, I color the epoxy
with either powdered tints or shaved pastel sticks. (art supply, WalMart etc)
I shave off a little with a razor and mix it in with the epoxy. You can do it
with CA gel too, but you need to work fast. I coat the inside of the blank
using a chopstick and then slide in the tube.

Attachments

• Pastel-1.jpg
    Pastel-1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 100

Ozzy

Thanks for the tip Curtis, I will definately give it a try. Normally, I paint the tubes with model spray paint and the inside of the blanks with a Q-tip and model paint; the paint inside the blank takes forever to dry. Your way sounds a hell of a lot easier and quicker.

Top Bottom