A new recruit maybe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
This morning I had the pleasure of giving a bright 12 year old young man a glimpse of the art of pen making and it's hard to decide who had more fun. Justin is the 85th person I have given a class in pen making and he was a good student. He has weathered some tough times of late but his spirit is strong and he knows to look up for help. His dad, a good friend, brought him by and stayed for the entire 3 hours taking photos and filming the process. Justin chose a gold Saturn pen from WoodTurningz and a stabilized maple burl blank. He was attentive and has a good hand for fine work, he will go far. Here's a photo of Justin with his CA finished pen. I will follow up with him and if he is interested in continuing I will connect him here. Thanks for looking.
WB

Attachments

• justin.jpg
    justin.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Justin.
Fantastic work Bill.
Encouraging young people, is a wonderful and rewarding task. Obviously with 85 + under your belt, you must enjoy it.
Congratulations Bill.
Brian.

pesto126

Really nice story... and a really great 1st pen! A nice way to start my Sunday! Thx...

stonepecker

What a wonderful way to pay it forward. I have helped 3 people to see what pen turning is about. I usually start with showing them SOYP section and then explain that it is a growing process.
Giving them a lesson isn't quite what I do. I show them how and then allow them to use my lathe to make themselves something they desire.
I am to new to this hobby. Even after all this time, I still call myself a 'newbie'. I have so very much to learn.

Butcher.......what you are doing is wonderful and I applaud your efforts. You have to be proud of your "students" when they wear a smile that big.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks a lot for all of the kind words. I can assure you that if you are afforded the opportunity to share your talents in this manner it will be one of the most fulfilling things you will have done. If I may, without sounding like an authority, here's the way I do it:
I let them pick from 4 styles of pens, Slimline, Cigar, Euro/round top or Sierra/Mesa. They then select the material they wish to turn for the pen body ( I have painted tubes waiting in case they select an acrylic acetate). We than match the blank with the best kit for design sake, gold or chrome. Then I tell them what we are going to do at the beginning of each step and I proceed to complete that operation one step at at a time, ie. sanding the tubes or cutting the blank to length. After I have told them and shown them how, they duplicate the steps, again one at a time, that I have taken. It's a tell, show and do approach. We go trough the entire process until they have a completed pen that I would sell for $35 to $40. If they have a blowout or other disaster, we start over. I want to be clear, I do charge for the 3 to 4 hour class but if one would figure the hourly rate it would be embarrassingly low, it ain't about the money, it is an investment on their part and a blast on my part. I have discovered that if a "student" has a monetary investment in something they pay better attention and take care of the end product...it has value. I'm old and that's the old way. I regret that I haven't taken and kept photos of all who have made pens under my tutelage but hey, I do have the memories of each and every one of them. I have had kids as young as 7 take the class and a couple of old farts in their 80s do it too. A lot of these folks are members of our IAP chapter and several attend almost every demo I do at Rockler. What a blessing it is to have been given a talent/ability, opportunity and the resources that connects me with so many great people, including those who frequent this forum.
WB

Top Bottom