New PSI Pen Kits - "No Press"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Has anybody tried these ? You don't need to press in the nib and finial

The pen tube has internal threads; the nib and finial have mating threads.

Seems like a fairly good idea. . Just don't get any glue on the threads !!!!

Wondering how successful the actual implementation is if anybody has had a chance to try them.

There are only 3 kit styles presented on the website at present ... Executive, Comfort, & Diva Charm.

The Comforts are not yet in stock but the other two are.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks for dobbing me in, CREID and Herb !

I'd love to oblige and do it and report; two problems: (1) it would be 2-3 weeks before I would receive my order from PSI because I have to contend with shipping delays by Canadian Customs inspectors, and I KNOW that one of you guys in the US is definitely going to do the job sooner than that; and (2) none of the kits that PSI is currently offering in the new "No Press" (threaded tube) category appeals to me at all.

So .... over to you ....... I'll wait for you and get the report sooner than if I did it !!

Thanks in advance !!! :):biggrin:

CREID

First off, you welcome for dobbing you in. (whatever dobbing means).:rolleyes:
And second, you have no idea how patient an incredibly lazy YOUNG man I am. :biggrin:

magpens

"No Press" kits from PSI - first impression

I ordered some and got them today.

I haven't turned a barrel/blank yet but that won't be much different from the original kits.
The only dimensional difference is that the "No Press" kits require drilling the blank with a 10mm bit, slightly larger than the 3/8" for the original kits. . (see below for the consequences of this difference).

I have assembled the pieces and can write with the resulting blank-less pen, of course.

My first impression is very favorable ... seems to be a nice job of threading, etc. . And things hold together very solidly.

I got a few of the Executives and the Diva Charm kits.

One thing to worry about is that the brass tubes have larger diameter than in the original kits ... but ... the bushings are the same. . This means that the barrel wall thickness is very thin at both the nib end and the clip end.

For the Executive, the brass tube is 0.382" and the clip ring is 0.412", so the finished barrel material thickness at clip end is only 0.015" (0.023" at the nib end). . This thinness has always put me off the Executive right from their introduction, and with the "No Press" version, things are even worse.

The Diva Charm is OK, but again the brass tube diameter is slightly enlarged (same as above, 0.382"), so we also have thinner barrel material at the ends compared to the original kits but the thinness is not as significant as with the Executive. . Wall thickness for the Diva will be about 0.035" at both ends, it looks like, and that is perfectly OK.

So there you have it ! .... that's my report.

Now ... to get making these pens .... and screwing them up !!!!

I like the idea of being able to temporarily assemble all the metal parts into a working pen even before turning the blanks.

I also like the idea of being able to swap out barrels for the same pen after you have put it together. . You can buy spare threaded tubes so you can match pen barrels to suit your wardrobe !

Last edited:

magpens

Picture of No Press assembled "pens"

I decided to include a picture to complete the report.

The picture turned out OK, but I don't enjoy doing pictures because my camera (Canon T5i with 100mm macro) does not have bluetooth capability so it is a bit of a pain to have to connect it to the computer with a cable. . And then I don't enjoy editing pictures on the computer either.

Anyway, here is the picture of two No Press pens I got today from PSI, a Diva Charm with blue crystals, and an Executive with Satin finish.

CREID

Thanks Mal
Now if you can do something about those fires up there. The smoke from them is screwing up the air in the Portland area.:eek:

magpens

Curt ...

What ? . You're getting smoke all the way down there ???

You should contact Border Patrol and get them to stop the inflow of Canuck air ..... build a wall or something !!

CREID

Curt ...

What ? . You're getting smoke all the way down there ???

You should contact Border Patrol and get them to stop the inflow of Canuck air ..... build a wall or something !!
I'll call Trump. I think he's getting bored with Mexico.:biggrin:
Yea the news said all this smoke we got is coming down from Canada.

Top Bottom