New Phoenix Kit vs. Sierra/WSII

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

has anyone made the new Phoenix kit and able to compare it and it's bushings to the sierra/Wall St. line? I know the drill size is the same (27/64) but is the tube length the same? Are the bushings the same diameter? I have a bunch of finished Wall St barrels done, and just waiting for me to get around to buying kits for them, but if I could put them on the Phoenix, that might be a tempting alternative... Plus it would be great to know that a lot of the cool castings made for the Sierras would work for this new kits...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe the description is trying to tell you there is a taper on the "holding portion" of the nib.

I just measured both---they are the same .473 on both ends. The clip end is not critical on the Berea Sierra, as it meets a rounded surface. The Virage is flat on both the nib and the clip end--dimension will be more critical.

"Perfect" would probably be .475" on the clip of the Virage.

Hope this helps!

toddlajoie

HOPE IT HELPS????

I don't know, it seems like exactly the answer I was hoping for (exact measurements and all!!!), plus it being clear and precise... Thanks Ed. looks like I get to order some different kits!!!

Thanks to everyone else for looking and putting in their understandings too, it all helps...

broitblat

The phoenix is much wider at the nib end than at the finial end of the tube. The Sierra bushing is pretty close at the finial end, but would leave you significantly undersized (about 1/10" if I recall) at the nib end. The taper is pretty significant.

You can use the Sierra bushings, of course, but you'll need to measure rather than turn down to the bushings. That's what I did.

Also, the Phoenix tube is longer than the Sierra, so that's another reason the finished tubes would not work.

Note: The Virage is different and does not seem to have as significant a taper.

-Barry

Last edited:

sgimbel

The tube sizes are the same but it takes a different bushing for the nib end. The Phoenix has a little flare at the top of the metal where it meets your blank. So no you need the different bushings.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, I did not read the question properly!!!

I have no idea about the Phoenix---I used the Virage, because that is the new BEREA pen---my apologies if I mislead anyone.

cwolfs69

phoenix kit

i just recently finished my first phoenix kit as noted in this thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85182 and shown below. As mentioned the finial end of the barrel is much bigger than the wall street II. in addition the tube is much longer than the wsII. the pen feels to me kinda like a cross between the wsII and a cigar. the grip feels pretty good and the large bulge keeps your hand from sliding to the end. nice looking with the right blank i believe. should be a decent mid price range seller, IMHO.

DSC_0446.JPG

JasonJ

I agree... the nib end is much wider.

Here's one I did a month or so ago. I like the kit. I bought a bunch of them when they first came out.

Attachments

• Pheonix pen kit.jpg
    Pheonix pen kit.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

toddlajoie

OK, it's all starting to make sense now. Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll look into the virage as an option for the barrels I have already done (or just stick with the sierras, who knows...) Still like the looks of the phoenix tho. Gonna have to get me some of them...

Old Lar

I just finished my first Virage this week and used tubes I had glued up for sierras. It turned out pretty well. I think I will like them. I ordered another dozen to try to convince myself.

I may have to give the phoenix a try also. I'll probably buy the bushings to be safe.

Attachments

• RattleSnake sm2-adj.jpg
    RattleSnake sm2-adj.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 113
Top Bottom