new pens and mandrel questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

So I am ready to try a new pen. I have been making slimline, polaris, and cigar pens. Now I want to try the baron pens.
I see they have a listing for an A type mandrel. Is this just their designation, is it the same as a std 7mm or are they truly their own beast?

So what i'm getting at is if I start with the Barons, I'll need a new mandrel, drill bits, bushings and pen kits correct? Or is my old 7mm mandrel serviceable for this?

Thanks

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Berea designates their Mandrels A&B,
The A is what you would normally use for slimlines.
They have some kits that use a "B" mandrel.
To make it simple, The"B" madrel is thicker.It fits 8MM tubes with no "sleeve" to go in the tube.
THere aren't too may that require a"B" mandrel.A few are "Perfect Fit" American streamline roller ball/FP.I am sure there are more but those are the only 2 styles I made made with them.
It is possible to make these without the "B" mandrel but it is a pain.
You might consider getting another mandrel set up any way.Its nice to be working on more than one pen at a time.That way you will be less likely to be impatient waiting for something to cool off or dry.
I would suggest anyone starting out to have e mandrel set up at least.More is better.[:D]MOre is always better.

mick

Scott, you'll need new...or different drill bits and new bushings. The bushings for the larger pens that fit on a A mandrel still have a 7mm ID. They just "step up" to the OD of the pen you're turning JUst as the Cigar bushings do.
On another note, just as Eagle says it's nice to have several mandrels. I have 6 I think (mandrels and #2 morse tapers) so I can work on that many pens at any given time....It really helps out if your finish involves leaving the pen on the mandrel.

Randy_

The Berea mandrel could be as much as 4/1000" larger than the PSI mandrel if published information is accurate. If you happen to get a set of sloppy bushings from Berea, they could be oversized enough to give you a problem if used on a PSI mandrel. There have been some reports of such difficulties. Your best bet, to minimize any chance of a problem, would be to use a Berea mandrel for Berea kits. Some folks have reported successfully shimming oversized bushings with Teflon tape, brass shim stock or other materials; but the best situation is to have bushings that properly fit the mandrel.

toolcrazy

If you don't have the correct shaft for your barrel trimmer, you can take a 7mm tube and some scrap wood (I use red oak)and create a bushing of the correct size. I've done this with a couple kits that my trimmer won't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom