New to pen turning and turning all together.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craig Matheny

I have looked at some of the information on this site and I will say I can't wait to try some. I own a shop-smith and that is my current weapon of choice. The question I have is this: I have a parting tool, a 3/8 gouge, 3/4" gouge and a 1" skew. I have turned my first pen with just my 3/8" gouge and did a CA finish. Any and all input would be great.. Not the best pic camera phone
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craig Matheny

Here is the picture

Had trouble loading picture

Attachments

• penl.jpg
    penl.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 178

Tim'sTurnings

Hi Craig,

Do you have specific questions you would like answers to??? When I started I only used a 1/2" spindle gouge for a long time, with a polyurethane finish. I have since starting using different methods but pens can be made with any number of tools and finishes.

Again, do you have questions. Welcome to the forum.
Tim

Tim'sTurnings

Oh, and your pen looks to be made very well. Can't tell anything regarding your sanding or finish because the pic is very blurry so I can't comment on that. But looks well done.

Craig Matheny

Thanks I guess the only issue I had on this pen was when I put it together I used one of those blue ratchet clamps and when installing the transmission it flew apart putting a crack in the wood. Used a different style clamp and was fine but what is suggested for assembly??

cwolfs69

I use 2 kinds of presses. I have the one from woodcraft and the one from Penn state industries. I like the Penn state better but it not long enough for some pens and operations. i have at times used the spindle of the drill press for long work also.
Your pen looks pretty good from what i can see. like was stated earlier, the pic is real blurred. keep up the good work and you're right, this place is a gold mine for information. you ask a question and there are 50 answers available. each one right and you choose which works for you. remember we have folks around the world so someone is there virtually 24 hours per day to help. i get up at 4:00 am most days and there are new posts every morning.

good luck and happy turning.

kovalcik

Welcome Craig! Good first effort. I turn on a shop smith also, so if you have any questions in that area, post or shoot me a PM and I will try to help.

jbswearingen

I use a hand screw clamp for assembling my pens. I like it much more than the PSI pen press I had. Google"pen press plans" if you wish to build one.

Come visit us at www.woodnet.net -- we're more 'general' woodworking and turning over there. You'll find an amazing amount of info and help in both places!

Tim'sTurnings

I use a pen press that I bought at Woodcraft. I have had no problems with it. (I also had a problem when I used a grip clamp. It kept slipping out and sometimes caused breakage).

With the woodcraft pen press I have not had a problem since.
Tim.

jbswearingen

Oh, and if you haven't been told it, or figured it out yet, I'll be the first to tell you...

You're screwed. This habit, er, uh, hobby, is addicting, expensive, and detrimentally fun. Enjoy your free fall down the rabbit hole with the rest of us!

:biggrin:

Top Bottom